Two Online Scams You Should Beware Of This Christmas

online scams you should beware of this christmas

With the holidays around the corner folks are looking for opportunities to make some extra money to make sure they keep the “happy” in Happy Holidays.

The bad news is this time of year also brings out the worst in people and they’re ready and willing to take advantage of that. I was doing some research for work at home or online scams to see if there were any new scams we should be aware of and I found a couple I thought I’d share with you today. These are two scams you should beware of.

Targeting eBay Sellers

If you’re selling products on eBay you may want to pay attention to this - my local news recently reported there were people using fake email addresses to notify you of a purchase. They go as far as telling you they’re willing to pay for rushing the order to them.

Here’s a short but informative video that explains it all.

Just a friendly reminder, here are a couple points to remember that were shared in the video.

Do not click on any links within the email.

Go directly to Paypal.com to verify the transaction.

Never hesitate to make a request to call the buyer to make sure it’s a legitimate purchase.

Companies Hiring To “Reship” Products

A company may “hire” you to make international shipments, typically electronics. The so-called employee gets all the material needed to make it look legitimate, even the packaging supplies and mailing labels. The worker would be instructed to repack and ship according to instructions they’re given.

The scam is the items being shipped were purchased using stolen credit cards and they are using your address to bypass authorities.

Tips You Can Use

Scammers are getting more creative and savvy so we have to stay on top of our game and recognize them when we come across one.

Here are some tips to help you avoid those online scams floating around the Internet.

Do your research. Make sure the company is legitimate.

Check the website for contact information and don’t hesitate to give them a call.

Look for those red flags like jobs asking you to pay a fee or those that exaggerate the amount of money you can make like $500 per day.

Over To You

Have you seen any online scams we should be warned about? If you have fill out the comments section below and tell us about it. If you’ve been the victim of a scam and would like to share your story, we’d really love to read about it and learn from your experience.

Please share this post in your social circles and let’s spread the word about these scams and keep folks in the know.

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

• Apollo

Apollo 11/13/2013 9:25 a.m. #

Nice post Corina. Most scams are so easily identified if common sense is applied. I am sure despite countless warnings there will be ample of people falling victim to scams.

Corina Ramos 11/13/2013 1:34 p.m. #

Thanks Apollo.

Yes, folks are in such a need to make some extra money that these ads are just too good to pass up.

Appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Hope you're having a great Wednesday!

• Ron Killian

Ron Killian 11/13/2013 12:23 p.m. #

Thanks for the warning Corina. I had not heard about the shipping scam, good to know. I usually just get the fake pay pal emails, or the ones that I'm going to get a trillion dollars just because.

Corina Ramos 11/14/2013 2:21 p.m. #

You're welcome Ron,

These scammers are getting craftier you know. You would think with their marketing skills and technical skills they have they'd find a real job!

I get the one where this man dies and he's got no family to leave it to and since we have the same last name, they choose me...seriously??

Thanks for stopping by Ron! Have a great day!

• Tara @ Streets Ahead Living

Tara @ Streets Ahead Living 11/13/2013 12:38 p.m. #

These are definitely real scams to look out for but I also want to warn people about not freaking out about fake scams. I saw someone post something in their blog about the debit cash back scam which turns out to not even be possible. If you ever hear of a scam, it's always worth verifying if it's real via Snopes.com or other ways.

Corina Ramos 11/14/2013 2:33 p.m. #

Hey there Tara,

You bring up a great point there...they really need to check sites like snopes.com.

The debit cash back scam is something else. That made me start using cash a lot more.

Thanks for sharing Tara! Hope you're having a great week!

• Donna Merrill

Donna Merrill 11/13/2013 5:23 p.m. #

Hi Corina,

Oh Yes, I've seen those schemes coming and never thought it had to do with the holidays. Now I get it! Well, I consider myself somewhat pretty savvy when it comes to this. I usually can spot a scammer a mile away.
      But I have one rule of thumb...I only do business with trustworthy companies I know. Even on Amazon, one has to be careful. There are some businesses there that are really not connected too well.
      I was trying to purchase something last month and found that one out.
      Thanks for the heads up,
      -Donna

Corina Ramos 11/14/2013 2:57 p.m. #

Ever since I was scammed I got pretty good at spotting them myself.

You have a great rule of thumb there. I would rather pay a little more for their services but at least I know they're legit.

I'm glad you caught that on time before your purchase was final.

Thanks for stopping by Donna! Hope you're having a great week!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 11/14/2013 11:03 a.m. #

Great tips, Corina! It's sad fact but unfortunately there are lots of people trying to advantage of those looking to earn a few extra dollars. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Corina Ramos 11/14/2013 3:02 p.m. #

You're welcome Shannon.

I feel the same way...it's very sad. I just don't know who these people can sleep at night. It especially gets me when they take advantage of senior citizens...ugh.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts hon! Hope you're having a great week! Ready for the weekend?

• Adrienne

Adrienne 11/15/2013 2:16 p.m. #

Hey Cori,

Another good contribution to Sicorra's blog. Scams are everywhere girl and I can only imagine them picking up pace with the holidays coming.

I don't think I've heard of either of these but I don't pay attention to much of these anymore. I don't shop on eBay and probably the only place I do shop for the holidays is Amazon. I wouldn't think I would run into any issues there but it's nice to know this particular scheme is out there now.

I appreciate you giving me the heads up. Thank you so much and hope you're enjoying your day. Both of you and have a good weekend.

~Adrienne