Four Things You Can Do To Keep Your Job Search Fresh

keep your job search freshAt the beginning of the year I shared some tips on how to keep your job search routine organized. Now that we’re about to wrap up 2013 (can you believe it?) I thought now would be a good time to follow up with you about this. So let me ask you in the words of Dr. Phil, how’s that job search workin’ for ya?

Is it still fresh or has it become so mundane that you don’t bother to read the email anymore. Maybe you’re not getting notices as often as you’d like to.

Or perhaps you’re getting offers for positions that don’t interest you. If this has been the case now would be a good time to take a look at how you can keep your job search fresh for the upcoming New Year.

I remember how hard it was looking for a job and how frustrating it was reading job alert emails that had nothing to do with my skills or what I was looking for. If this has been the case for you this year, I’ve got something for you.

Let’s talk about four things you can do to keep your job search fresh. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel, just a touch-up to your existing documents and profiles will do. For example, you can…

Update Your Profile at Job Search Sites

When was the last time you updated your profile at job search sites like Careerbuilder and Monster? If you aren’t getting any leads that interest you, take a look at your online profile and give your profile an update. Update your skills list and check to see if there are any new categories that you should add your profile to.

Update Your Resume

Make sure you update your resume with any new certifications, a new skill, a completed project or even edit your objective if there’s a career change.

If you use LinkedIn make sure that your work experience and education details on LinkedIn match what you have on your resume.

Common practice suggests we update our resumes once every six months.

Revamp Your Cover Letter

Take a look at your cover letter and see if you can change it up. Taking a second look might help discover another way to explain a skill or maybe help you remember to add something that wasn’t included in the first draft.

Check Your Social Media Profiles

I know this doesn’t have anything to do with keeping your job search fresh but it’s so important that it bears repeating. Remember, most recruiters or hiring managers will have already checked out a candidate’s profile before an interview.

Keep your social media profiles as clean as you can. They don’t have to be professional but avoid those f-bombs and other four letter words on your updates. And yes it’s okay to take a picture with you holding a drink but don’t put a caption like “party like a rock star” on it.

Over To You

If you have other suggestions to keep a job search fresh fill out the comments section below and tell us all about it. I appreciate you for sharing it with us.

There are lots of job seekers out there. Help me reach as many of them by sharing this post in your social pages, I’d really appreciate it.

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

• Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life

Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life 11/27/2013 9:12 a.m. #

I have a tendency to go into autopilot when job searching. I'll have to use the new year as an excuse to revitalize and revamp with these steps.

Corina Ramos 11/27/2013 8:10 p.m. #

Hi Stefanie,

The New Year would be the perfect time to update your documents. I do that too and on the first day of summer for my kids which is in June.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope others will take that advice. :. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

• Brian @ Luke1428

Brian @ Luke1428 11/27/2013 9:32 a.m. #

I keep telling the would-be-job-seeking high school students I teach to keep their social profiles clean. They are not listening.

Corina Ramos 11/27/2013 9:14 p.m. #

Hi Brian,

Ugh...I don't know what it's going to take. I've told my teens the day I see something illegal, immoral, or indecent I'm shutting them off from the social world.

Don't give up telling them....it will sink in eventually. Glad they have a teacher like you to advise them.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Michelle @fitisthenewpoor

Michelle @fitisthenewpoor 11/27/2013 10:21 a.m. #

My husband is currently seeking and I am constantly reminding him to delete stuff off of his twitter. He doesn't post anything too bad, but sometimes a political rant will slip or he'll use some foul language. One day he'll learn!

Corina Ramos 11/27/2013 9:22 p.m. #

Hi Michelle,

I can't stop my husband either...although he's working, it's my name on my Facebook account. So when he's dropping those f-bombs because our football team is losing, it looks like me, lol :).

Happy Thanksgiving Michelle! It was very nice to meet you. :)

• Angela McCall

Angela McCall 11/27/2013 10:28 a.m. #

Hi Corina,

Great advice! I love your author description on there. Makes me laugh when I read it. So you're dealing with grey hair and wrinkles...OH MY!!! I think I'm in the same situation with my granddaughter...she is extremely demanding!

Excellent pointers on keeping your social media professional.

Although we can be more personable in this new era, still the f-word just gotta go and words like "party like a rock star" doesn't look appealing either. If I am to hire someone, I don't think I would be attractive to this person working for me at all.

Anyhoo girl, you take it easy and have a nice Thanksgiving Day!

xoxo
      Angela

Corina Ramos 11/27/2013 9:45 p.m. #

I know what you mean girlfriend. Isaiah will be 2 soon. That boy is a pill and yep demanding! I try to work with him sitting next to me but he'll start punching keys and talking gibberish, lol.

I agree with you. I wouldn't want to hire someone who's posting inappropriate stuff on their Facebook page or any other social site.

It is a catch-22 having the freedom to be ourselves on social media, isn't it? Which is why it's so important to keep that reminder going.

Thank you Angela! Happy Thanksgiving hon! Have a wonderful time with your family. :)

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Families

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Families 11/27/2013 9:14 p.m. #

Great tips. Make sure that you don't have posts on social media that could harm your job search.