21 Healthy Living Tips Just For You

healthy living tips for you

snow storm

Come winter time living in Western Canada can be somewhat difficult. Although we never tire of the beautiful mountain views, especially when they are covered in snow, we can quickly get tired of the minus 25 temperatures and the heavily snow covered streets that the city just never seems to get around to plowing. Over the past 6 weeks we have had more than our share of snow. In fact yesterday some people posted pictures where they opened their front door and the snow was piled up five feet high thanks to our most recent blizzard. Bundling up in three or four layers of clothing, shoveling snow, trying to drive without getting stuck or sliding into the next car may be fun for some, but it can also quickly become quite stressful. And once stress sets in and you start to feel like you have cabin fever, looking after yourself and making healthy living choices a top priority is the key to getting through winter. After all, winter is here to stay, at least until sometime in May.

Healthy living is more than just eating right and exercising. It includes everything we do each and everyday. Here are some great tips for you to try if you find yourself suffering from the stress of winter.

Healthy Living Tips

Have Fun

Laughing is a very good stress reliever. So is doing something that you truly enjoy. If your home is buried in snow, think about ways to have fun at home.

Play a computer game, or play cards with your family. Turn on your favorite music and dance.

Invite some neighbors over for a potluck dinner.

Exercise You Enjoy

There are exercises that we dread but we do them because we have been taught that they are good for us, and then there are exercises that we do because we enjoy them. If you haven’t already found one, figure out an exercise routine that you will actually enjoy. The more you enjoy it the more you will do it, and the more you do it, the better you will feel.

Always Have Something to Look Forward To

My best healthy living tip is to always have something to look forward to.

Plan a vacation or an event. You know, the type of event where you count how many sleeps until that day comes. It may be a special event such as a party or it may be a fun vacation. You should always have something exciting to look forward to.

Hydration

Drink your favorite hot tea to help keep your body warm. And when you are not drinking tea, drink lots of water to keep your body well hydrated.

Comfort Food

Make healthy homemade vegetable soups to ensure that your body gets more vitamins and fibre. Load up your slow cooker first thing in the morning and by dinner time your home will smell wonderful and your hot dinner will be waiting for you. Store leftovers for lunches during the week, or freeze them to use for dinner next week.

healthy living

Take Your Vitamins

Do you find that during the winter you tend to catch a cold or have the flu more often? To help avoid catching a cold or the flu ensure that you take potent multi-vitamins that include high doses of vitamin D and vitamin B. Vitamin B will help to lower your stress levels and vitamin D will boost your mood and immunity.

Also, take a strong probiotic tablet everyday with dinner to help prevent infections. Supplementing with "good" bacteria (for example, Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium) will help restore the balance of bacteria living in your gut and keep you healthy.

Humidity

Some of you may live in a humid climate and some in a very dry climate like we do here in Western Canada. And the colder it gets for us the dryer it gets. When the humidity is really low people tend to begin experiencing a dry cough that never seems to go away. Quite often this is simply due to a lack of humidity in their home.

If you find yourself experiencing a dry nagging cough add a humidifier to your room and set it to turn on occasionally throughout the day. We have one in our bedroom that runs several times throughout the night and works very well for us.

Massage Therapy

If you don’t already have one, find a good massage therapist and go regularly. Certain trigger points and spots of tension in musculoskeletal tissue can cause back pain and neck pain which can generally make you feel lousy. And when you feel lousy it is much harder to focus on other things.

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth

When it is super cold and snowy outside I begin to feel claustrophobic. I get irritable which can lead to emotional eating of whatever sweets are close at hand. But I have found over the years that by eating small amounts of dark chocolate during the day instead, I happily skip other sweets or any foods that are high in carbs. And it just makes sense to eat small amounts of 70% dark chocolate because it is super low in sugar, satisfies my sweet tooth, and it offers so many health benefits.

Rest Your Body

Get plenty of sleep. If possible take a mid afternoon nap. If you have any trouble sleeping begin taking Magnesium right before bed time. Magnesium relaxes your muscles, alleviates any late night twitching, and it is super good for cleaning out your intestines, if you know what I mean.

Garlic

You can easily boost your immunity and lower your cholesterol by adding more fresh garlic to your meals everyday of the week.

Skip That What is Bad For You

Avoid using alcohol or drugs as a way to deal with the stress you may feel during the cold winter months. Although I have never used either, I completely understand why a person possibly would. If you feel tempted, try these other ideas first to help yourself feel better and eliminate the stress you are feeling.

Reach Out to Good Friends

Find a way to spend some quality time with a good friend. It may be something as simple as a nice chat on the phone or via skype, or by exchanging a few emails.

Read a Good Book

This winter put on your favorite sweater and wool socks, curl up on the sofa, and read a good book. Reading improves your memory and helps to take your mind off of anything that may be stressing you out.

Improve Mental Function

Work on a difficult puzzle to improve mental function and preserve memory. Time flies when you are busy trying to finish a puzzle and once you are done you feel a sense of accomplishment which will boost your mood.

Movie Time

Old movies, Christmas movies, romances, thrillers – what type of movie do you enjoy? Always make time to relax and watch your favorite movies.

outdoor activities

Outdoor Activities

Find a way to enjoy the outdoors – do you enjoy ice skating, skiing or snowboarding? People who participate in these sports tend to enjoy winter a lot more than those that do not. If you don’t skate or ski, consider taking lessons and learning something new. You will make great new friends too.

Hobby Time

If you feel stuck inside because it is too cold out choose a hobby to work on at home. You could work on something you already enjoy or learn something new. Some ideas are sewing, woodworking, crafts, baking, painting, writing.

Experiment In The Kitchen

Experiment with different types of foods, such as Chinese food, Japanese food or Thai food. Or, have a cooking contest to see who can make the best pizza or the best cupcakes.

Body Lotion

Keep your whole body moisturized with a good body lotion especially in dry cold climates.

Wash Your Hands Often

A very basic healthy living tip that is sometimes overlooked is washing your hands, and making sure that your kids wash their hands frequently too. This will help you catch less colds and will protect you when handling fresh foods in the kitchen. You also want to make sure that you wash your hands after grocery shopping because a million other hands have been on those grocery carts. If soap and water isn’t handy carry a small bottle of liquid hand sanitizer with you and use it throughout the day. This simple tip will help you stay healthy all year round.

Comments

• Paige @ The Dollar Stretcher

Paige @ The Dollar Stretcher 12/05/2013 7:47 a.m. #

Such great tips!! I especially love the Comfort Food Crock Pot one ... I love coming home to an already cooked, yummy meal!

Sicorra 12/05/2013 12:01 p.m. #

Yes, me too Paige! It's the best. Thanks for stopping by today.

Corina Ramos 12/05/2013 9:04 a.m. #

These are great tips Sicorra. I'm wondering if you thought about me on the one about skipping what's bad for us...considering the conversations we've had and me wondering why I'm not a drinker with this crazy life of mine, lol. ;)

Girl minus 25 degree weather...I couldn't handle it. Shewt, when it's lower than 55 degrees I'm shivering, lol. Be careful out there when you're shoveling snow.

We're expecting some of that cold weather to dip down to Houston. It's going to get as low as 28 by Tuesday. I'll make use of these ideas you shared because I don't plan on going anywhere this weekend :). (yeah right, lol)

Talk to you soon Chica! Happy Thursday!

Sicorra 12/05/2013 12:06 p.m. #

Yes, I was thinking about our conversations, both for the drinking and your accident. As I said, I can easily understand why someone would when life gets rough, but we all need to be proactive (as you are) and do other things so that we don't turn to that which is bad for us.

The cold just keeps getting worse here. We might venture out on Saturday when it is only minus 15 LOL

As low as 28 F is very cold for you guys. Shall I mail you a hat and gloves via Amazon??

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Thursday!!

Corina Ramos 12/06/2013 4:23 p.m. #

LOL...I knew it :). I know folks who fallen victim to their circumstances by becoming addicted to alcohol and pills....that's not for me. I think the worse thing I would do is eat a whole cake...chocolate!

Girl you're making my bones hurt now, lol. I'm surprised the city isn't shutting down, however up in Dallas it's a lot worse for them.

I'll take a pink hat and glove set please ;)! I've been wearing Mario's sweat pants and hoodies...I look crazy but I'm warm :).

Thanks again for sharing these tips! Have a great weekend my friend!

• Debbie

Debbie 12/05/2013 11:48 p.m. #

Excellent tips, Sicorra! I completely agree that it's important to have something to look forward to in life. Can't imagine dealing with your temps! I'm in Southern Ontario and that's bad enough for me. You mentioned alcohol, but, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. A shot of brandy in tea or hot chocolate will really warm you up. :-)

Sicorra 12/06/2013 1:46 p.m. #

So true Debbie - alcohol doesn't have to be a bad thing when it is just an occassional treat like a shot of whiskey to warm you up. It is a bad thing when people drink it all day to alter their mood though, and that is what I was referring to.

• Harleena Singh

Harleena Singh 12/06/2013 7:21 a.m. #

Hi Sicorra,

It must be pretty tough to deal with so much of snow in this cold weather! I can well imagine, though I'm glad we just get too cold and are spared from the snow our end :)

Those were great tips and all of them essential indeed. I think keeping a positive mindset is very essential too, and if you divert your mind to other activities, you really don't let the cold or the snow thoughts affect you. Dark chocolate is also well known to be beneficial to health.

Thanks for sharing, and sending you some warmth from this end. Happy weekend and happy holidays too :)

Sicorra 12/06/2013 1:49 p.m. #

Thank you Harleena!
        I understand what you mean about a positive mindset but I do struggle with that when every window I look out of is covered in ice and snow. Some days are easier than others though. Today the sun is shinning which is absolutely lovely but the temps have dropped to minus 36 which sucks.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 12/06/2013 10:46 a.m. #

While I am not used to that amount of snow or temps (brrrrrrrrr) these are great tips for wherever you live. I think it's so important to have something to look forward to as well. Otherwise on a bad day, it's so easy to fall into the "I deserve it" trap and either spend money on something you shouldn't or eat something you'll regret later! This time of year where there is so much going on, building up our immunity is important too. I definitely don't want my holiday plans to get derailed because I got sick! Have a great weekend and stay warm, my friend!

Sicorra 12/06/2013 1:52 p.m. #

Thank you Shannon!
        Having something to look forward to and be excited about is very helpful. And boosting our immunity is so important. Christmas 2007 I had a horrible cold at the last minute that just ruined Christmas and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
        Have a great weekend and enjoy getting prepared for the holidays!

• CarolB

CarolB 12/06/2013 12:41 p.m. #

Great tips Sicorra. I do try to embrace most of these, though garlic is a tough one for me. And thanks to one of your prior posts, I've started the lemon tea drink each morning. I do think it works!
      Happy Friday.

Sicorra 12/06/2013 1:53 p.m. #

Carol, I am very happy to hear that you enjoy the lemon tea. Thanks very much and Happy Friday!

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 12/06/2013 2:35 p.m. #

Oh how I remember those days of 25 below and snow covered roads (and cars - what a pain!) I don't miss those days at all. I am getting so spoiled now. It's been cold here - high 50's. I can't believe I think that is cold now!! It's really not!! Great tips to stay healthy. I am notorious for catching an after Christmas cold. But I've been taking vitamins to try and boost my immunity. Have a great weekend and hopefully winter will give you a break this weekend!

• Maria Cruz

Maria Cruz 12/06/2013 5:24 p.m. #

Reading about the weather where you are I am now shivering like a cold chihuahua lol! I do some of the tips you mentioned but there are some I need to start doing like putting lotion on my dry itchy skin. Thanks for the great tips and happy holidays to you :)

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 12/07/2013 12:53 a.m. #

Wonderful ideas, Sicorra! Not many people think of hydrating in the winter, but you really need it! Indoor air and outdoor air gets drier. Drinking plenty of fluids and all that hot soup will help! I don't throw cooking water down the drain until after it's had a chance to humidify the room! I leave the lid off and don't dump it until it's cooled.

I do love hobbies during the winter months. I like to knit while watching tv. It's relaxing and it keeps you warm at the same time! All with a cup of hot tea of course!

• Lisa

Lisa 12/07/2013 6:21 a.m. #

Sicorra, great tips -my fav is having something to look forward to. I just did a day trip to NYC yesterday and now need something else to look forward to. A bucket list is a great way to have that in your life. I think it gives us hope and an extra jump to our steps and getting up each day. Of course without our health we cannot do many things so taking the time to be healthy is another must. I do enjoy the first snowfall but after that - I'm done with it if I have to work on snow days. Have a great weekend!

• Sue Neal

Sue Neal 12/08/2013 6:06 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra - I've recently had to stop drinking alcohol for medical reasons - I was never a heavy drinker, but used to enjoy a glass or two of wine at weekends. I've been tee-total for 3 or 4 months now and feel so much better for it - haven't missed it at all, either.

I love all your suggestions apart from the garlic one - no matter how hard I try, I just can't stand the stuff!

• Arelis Cintron

Arelis Cintron 12/09/2013 9:48 p.m. #

What a great list! The one thing I need to do is to use lotion. My skin gets super dry in the winter time and I know I should be putting it on daily but I never do. I have a huge bottle of lotion to, i'm not sure why I don't use it. It would definitely sooth my skin and prevent it from feeling dry and itchy!

• donna@blogbydonna.com

donna@blogbydonna.com 12/11/2013 6:42 p.m. #

I have such dry skin, especially this time of year, but I neglect using moisturizer. I need to use the lotion daily. These are great tips!

• Ellen M. Gregg

Ellen M. Gregg 12/13/2013 8:58 a.m. #

Fabulous tips, Sicorra! My favorite is massage therapy, which I'm an advocate for. I'm blessed to receive twice a month, due to bartering services with a couple of practitioners. I've noticed a big difference in my overall well-being thanks to it. :-)