Europe on a Dime: 5 Charming Vacation Spots

europe on a dime

Europe has a lot more to offer than just the typical tourist locations such as Paris. In fact, straying from the beaten path will make it much easier for you to experience the splendor of Europe without spending a lot of money. Therefore, if you are currently considering taking a trip overseas, it is a good idea to look into lesser-known and more cost-effective destinations. The following are some top locations in Europe that are budget friendly as well.

1. Dubrovnik

Although this Croatian city is actually prominent among many local travelers, it is not typically one of the first places that come to mind for American tourists. However, the city has a wide array of restaurants, attractions and nightlife opportunities, and this makes it a great choice for people who want to experience Europe without spending an exorbitant amount of money. In fact, Dubrovnik's hotels and other tourist options are typically much more affordable than hot spots such as Venice and Rome.

2. Tallinn

This charming Estonian town features stunning views of the water and beautiful architecture that is definitely worth photographing. The area also features a prominent art museum, unique shopping options and a major emphasis on other cultural opportunities, including their annual Christmas Jazz Festival. Tallinn is truly a hidden gem, and this will allow you to stay in the city at a very affordable rate.

3. Budapest

The odds are high that you are aware of the largest city in Hungary, but it is probably not at the top of your travel wish list. However, if you want to experience culture and delicious cuisine on a budget, you should definitely give this town a closer look. Budapest is known for offering a high quality of life at a reasonable budget, and this makes it much more affordable for the typical tourist. Additionally, you can utilize the services of a company such as Shuttle Direct, from www.shuttledirect.com, to provide you with convenient, timely and reasonable transportation from the airport to your hotel.

4. Valencia

If you have been considering heading to Spain, Valencia is a lovely old city that will provide you with the opportunity to enjoy several cultural locations, including the Valencian History Museum and the City of Arts and Science. Valencia also offers close proximity to several beaches and a hot spring. In other words, if you are interested in spending part of your vacation in the water, this is definitely a good location to consider.

5. San Gimignano

Tourists who truly want to do something different should consider booking a room for at least one night in San Gimignano, Italy. This town is often referred to as the medieval Manhattan, and you can easily immerse yourself in the history of the area while enjoying the simplicity of being in a town that does not allow travelers to bring their vehicles with them. If the city's hotels are out of your price range, there are many nearby locations that will offer you a cheaper rate while still giving you a close enough location to explore everything that San Gimignano has to offer.

Regardless of which location you choose, you can rest assured that you will be able to enjoy the history and beauty of Europe without going over your budget. As an added bonus, most of these locations have a wide variety of lodging options such as hostels and B&Bs to help you keep your expenses at a reasonable level.

Comments

• Pauline

Pauline 12/12/2013 7:32 a.m. #

I was recently in Valencia and the city is amazing. There is a lot to do for the whole family. That is a great list you put there, Tallinn and Budapest are the cheapest one although Spain is not too bad, it is more expensive.

Sicorra 12/12/2013 12:31 p.m. #

Yes, Valencia sounds like a lovely place. Lucky you for visiting there. I have been to Spain, but not to that location. I would love to check out Budapest as well.

• Michelle

Michelle 12/12/2013 10:46 a.m. #

All of these places sound wonderful. I would like to spend a few months seeing everything in Europe.

Sicorra 12/12/2013 12:32 p.m. #

This would be a great time to travel, now that you can work from anywhere.

krantcents 12/12/2013 5:33 p.m. #

3 out of 5 of your choices are in Eastern Europe which is known for lower costs. I hope to take a river cruise next year and see Budapest.

Sicorra 12/13/2013 5:02 p.m. #

Budapest does sound inviting.

Corina Ramos 12/12/2013 8:04 p.m. #

As you know Marisa will be going to Germany in her Senior year. I wish I would have had the opportunity to travel, maybe I would not be so afraid of flying.

I would love to visit these places instead of seeing them in a movie or on TV.

Have a good night Sicorra! Talk to you tomorrow!

Sicorra 12/13/2013 5:03 p.m. #

I think Marisa has a wonderful opportunity coming up. Europe is definitely beautiful and exciting.

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 12/13/2013 10:05 a.m. #

I have always heard that Budapest and Dubrovnik are gorgeous. I'm happy to learn about the other 3! Exploring #5 on foot sounds like an experience to remember!

There are so many fascinating places in the world, especially if you learn something of their history before you go! For great tips on the best values in places to stay, etc. check out the forums on sites like Fodors Rick Steves. Great tips!

Sicorra 12/13/2013 5:05 p.m. #

I agree, there are so many fascinating places to visit and each location offers their own unique culture and history.

• Lisa Coleman

Lisa Coleman 12/22/2013 3:13 p.m. #

Thank you Maggie! :)

• Shalonda Gordon

Shalonda Gordon 12/13/2013 12:51 p.m. #

I grew up in Frankfurt, Germany, and have been all over Europe.. yet never to these locations. I've been looking to see where I will go when I return to Europe, and this list just gave me a nice start.. thank you ..keep smiling

Sicorra 12/13/2013 5:07 p.m. #

I envy you. From Frankfurt it is so easy to fly anywhere in Europe or the UK for next to nothing. Cool for you for taking advantage and traveling around Europe.

• Jay@MoneyRebound

Jay@MoneyRebound 12/16/2013 1:41 a.m. #

Oh, Europe. Why are you so far away? I got to agree with you guys, Budapest is really fascinating. I would love to live over there for maybe a month or two then backpack around Europe for a bit.

I'm still not giving up on that dream.

• Joan Price

Joan Price 12/19/2013 9:09 a.m. #

Thanks for the share! How about Tuscany? My family and I just got back from there and had an amazing time. We were able to get a great rate on a villa rental in the country since it was the off season and boy was it worth it. I mean the scenery alone was worth every penny!

• Lisa Coleman

Lisa Coleman 12/22/2013 3:16 p.m. #

Have not been there but sure sounds lovely Joan!! Off season is always the best time to go, and the time to get fabulous deals! Glad your trip was so fabulous! :) Thanks for sharing the idea!