Do You Ever Experiment With Your Diet?

do you ever experiment with your diet

January is typically the month that many people talk about their diet and weight loss. But how many people actually make good changes and stick to it? Sometimes they try to follow a new diet plan for a few days or a few weeks and they stop because it is either too difficult or they just aren’t seeing results or they just get bored with it all.

When this happens it is important to remember that just because others are losing weight by following a certain diet that doesn’t mean it works well for everyone.

Everyone has different food intolerances and a different metabolism. Even people within your family. Some can eat all day and never gain an ounce and some have one bowl of ice cream and the next day the scale says they’ve gained two pounds. Sound familiar?

The types of food you eat are extremely important and they affect more than just your weight. They also affect how your body feels each and every day.

Often times you will hear people say that they have aches and pains, trouble sleeping, headaches, dry skin, brittle hair or lack of energy, and they will simply chalk it up to the fact that they are getting older and that is the way people feel when they get older.

But the truth is that people feel that way when they are eating the wrong types of food. It really is that simple.

Feel Better By Experimenting with Your Diet

I have found that the best way to lose weight and feel better is to experiment with your diet.

Experimenting with your diet may require you to do some research upfront. But the time spent will be well worth it.

Think about times in your life when you simply felt like crap. Can you remember what you were eating then? For some people too much gluten makes their knees sore and their bodies ache. For others too much dairy makes them feel that way.

Try Eliminating Foods

You will often hear the phrase “everything in moderation”. However, eating that way isn’t the answer for everyone. Quite often there are certain foods, even when eaten in moderation, that are affect the way you feel, and if you stopped eating them you would feel much better.

So when I say experiment with your diet I mean that you should try to eliminate certain food groups for a period of time and pay specific attention to how your body feels during that time. After three or four weeks of eliminating that food from your diet you can try a few portions over a day or two and see how your body reacts.

Which Food Groups

Even if you do not have a severe allergic reaction to certain foods similar to when some people eat peanuts, or eggs, it doesn’t mean that your body is happy when you eat those foods.

The food groups that you should consider eliminating for the next three or four weeks are:

• Gluten
  • Soy
  • Dairy
  • Sugar and artificial sweeteners
  • Eggs
  • Peanuts

My husband and I are currently experimenting with our diet and a week ago we stopped eating the above food groups.

I know from earlier years that the foods that affect my weight and the way I feel are dairy, gluten and sugar. Unfortunately, those are the items that I tend to reach for most often, and so does my husband. We are fortunate in that we do not have a severe allergy to any type of food. But we do gain weight easily when we eat these foods, and we do take turns feeling bloated, along with having aches and pains that are simply annoying.

The funny thing about trying to eliminate those food groups is that they are found in so many things. Even gluten free bread has eggs in it, and so many things have soy in it.

Best Way to Deal With This

The best way to deal with this is to focus on what you can eat instead of what you cannot eat. Finding good substitutions for your favorite things can be a lot of fun.

Coming up with a weekly meal plan and experimenting with new recipes has really helped us find other things to eat. We use almond flour, more veggies, fruit and meats. We love to bake our own bread but we have never made gluten free bread, so that is next on our list.

At first I thought I would really miss things such as cheese and my daily hot chocolate, but each day I miss them less and less.

True, it has only been a week, and we have only lost a few pounds, but this is a diet that we plan to experiment with for the next three weeks to see which foods are good for us and which are not, so that we can drop the bad stuff forever. The ultimate goal for us is for our bodies to feel better every day.

Over to You

Do any of the above foods make you feel unwell?

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 01/13/2014 1:38 p.m. #

I try to keep my diet pretty clean, although I will admit to loving chocolate. :) I eat lots of veggies (generally steamed or roasted) and fish. I feel it when I eat something I regularly don't and it will be interesting to see which foods you add back and those you leave out. Good luck!

Sicorra 01/13/2014 4:14 p.m. #

Thanks Shannon!
        Roasted veggies sound delicious and I love chocolate too. Good for you for recognizing what foods makes you feel different.

krantcents 01/13/2014 5:24 p.m. #

I do not really diet! If I gain a few pounds, I just cut out something or increase my activity. I am always trying new things.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 01/14/2014 3:42 p.m. #

Good for you and your husband! I am trying to make good changes to my diet this year too. I've considered doing something similar to what you and your husband are doing by right now but I'm going to wait a bit until I try it. Whenever I've done drastic cuts in the past, I've given up so I want to ease into it so I can really see what foods do affect me. My problem is that instead of thinking about what I can eat (like you recommend) I obsess about what I can no longer eat. Oops! Can't wait to hear your results!

Sicorra 01/14/2014 7:55 p.m. #

Thanks for your support my friend!!

And Tanya, I know exactly how you feel. I use to do it all the time too. If someone said I shouldn't eat ice cream, even though I knew they were right, I would just want it more.

If you feel you need to make changes you will know when the time is right. We started planning this at the beginning of December because we have a habit of just jumping into something and then not following through either due to lack of planning. But we spent a lot of time talking about what we could eat and what we could cook together to make this fun.

Corina Ramos 01/14/2014 5:56 p.m. #

This is a great idea Sicorra.

I don't have a diet I follow. I cut back on sweets only letting myself have it on Saturday (my free day). I'm trying very hard to cut out soda but that is currently proving to be a little difficult.

It's like my glass of wine when I need to relax...maybe I should start drinking wine, lol.

Have you seen results after you've eliminated those foods?

You said it best when you said we should focus on what we can have instead of what we can't....makes it easier to stick to a diet.

Sicorra 01/14/2014 9 p.m. #

Thanks Corina!

Switching to red wine might be a good idea. It is lower in sugar and it is actually quite good for you. Well not the entire bottle, but a glass would work.

It has been 8 days since we started. We have each lost a few pounds but the best thing for me is that my tummy is already feeling better. I am going to try a few new simple recipes too to replace stuff we use to eat. See how it goes.

Good luck with cutting out your soda. Once you go without it for a few weeks you probably won't miss it.