12 Easy Ways to Improve Your Life

easy ways to improve your life

As the New Year kicks off one of the biggest things on most people’s minds is how can I feel better and improve my life this year. And this doesn’t just include people that want to lose weight. It includes people of all sizes. Just because a person is slim doesn’t automatically mean that they feel healthy and happy. How much we weigh definitely plays a factor in our overall health but it is only one piece of the pie, so to speak. When it comes to improving your life there are many other areas to work on. Let’s talk about 12 easy ways to improve your life this year.

Experiment with Your Diet

If you read yesterday’s post on Experiment with Your Diet you would have seen that my husband and I are currently experimenting with the different types of foods that we eat to see which ones make us feel lousy and which ones make us feel good.

There is no one diet fits all out there. Everyone should experiment to see what type of daily diet works best for them.

Shake Up Your Exercise Routine

Do you have an exercise routine that you love and look forward to doing, or do you workout just because you have been told that it is good for your health? Worse yet, perhaps you skip exercising all together.

Instead of doing something that you hate, or skipping it, find an exercise routine that you love. Try hip hop dancing, belly dancing or Zumba. Go skating or swimming. Join a curling club or a bowling league. If you have fun with whatever you choose to do you won’t even notice the time and you will look forward to doing it more and more.

Be Proactive

You know the drill – brush and floss your teeth, and make time to visit your dentist for regular cleanings and check-ups.

The same goes with seeing your doctor. An annual check-up that includes checking your blood pressure, heart rate, ears and throat, along with personal parts, is a great way to catch any issues early on. Routine blood work and urine tests will show the doctor if there are issues before you even feel the symptoms.

Find Ways to Relax

We are all going full speed ahead and rarely do we relax until it is time to go to bed. And even then, we may be lying down, but our minds keep racing and worrying about what we didn’t get done today. Then it starts making a list of what needs to be done tomorrow. Been there?

Finding a way to relax either mid day or 30 minutes before bed will help your mind calm down. As it calms down your body will be able to relieve any stress you may be carrying. The less stress you carry the healthier you will be.

Related: Tips That Will Help You Live a Better Life

Have More Fun

Make this the year that you promise to have more fun. If you enjoy traveling find ways to travel more often. If you enjoy skiing or hiking, go.

Taking night school classes solely based on a topic that you are interested in can be fun. You will learn new things and you will meet new people that you instantly have something in common with. My favorites are cooking classes and cake decorating classes.

Push The Envelope

Let go of your fears and push the envelope. This is something I use to be good at, but the older I get the less I push the envelope and venture out of my comfort zone. Don’t let that happen to you. Pick one or two things that you know you really want to do, but are kind of afraid of doing and go do them.

Learn to Let Go

Sometimes we get really hung up on certain events or certain people in our life and ultimately our life suffers. It is at these times that you need to learn to let go.

Giving yourself permission to let go and move on isn’t always easy, but once you do it you will feel so much better.

Drink Lots of Water

I know you hear this all the time, but are you actually doing it?

Drinking a lot of water is something that I have to constantly remind myself to do. If I don’t I get headaches and feel drowsy. I try to drink at least 60 ounces a day, but I should probably be drinking more.

Related: 7 Foods That Will Keep You Hydrated All Day

Sleep is the Best Medicine

Sleep honestly is the best medicine and sleeping more will definitely improve your life.

While you are asleep your body works on restoring your cells, balancing your metabolism, repairing any injuries, and healing itself naturally. It also gives your muscles a chance to relax.

Do Something Just For You

A great way to relax and improve your life is by getting involved in a new hobby or a sport. This is different than pushing the envelope and overcoming your fears.

This is simply doing something that you have always wanted to do, and you know you would love it, but you just never seem to find the time to do it. Maybe it is woodworking, or sewing or painting. Maybe you have always wanted to write a book. Or perhaps you have always wanted to learn how to sing or play the piano. Get started by picking just one thing and go do it.

Get a Professional Massage

Get a massage. You may think that all you need to do to take care of your health is to eat right and exercise, but many studies have proven that people that go for regular professional massages feel much better than those that do not.

Surround Yourself with Happy People

Eliminate the arrogant or toxic people in your life and surround yourself with fun, happy people. Doing this one thing will improve your life is so many ways, and you will look back in a year from now and wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

Comments

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 01/14/2014 11:42 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra. I am doing all of them, some better than others! I probably still pack too much into a day and need to give myself a little more breathing room. Surrounding yourself with happy, supportive people is important. Toxic people really are energy vampires. It really does change your energy and outlook when you no longer invite those people into your lives.

Sicorra 01/14/2014 7:29 p.m. #

Thanks Shannon! I can imagine that your day is quite busy with running a business and looking after your 2 girls. I'm sure you manage it very well.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 01/14/2014 3:45 p.m. #

I definitely need to work on Pushing the Envelope and Letting Go. As you know, this year my word is "Courage" as I've really let fear rule me for too long. It's not always easy getting out of your comfort zone but I know it's something I need to do and that it will be worth it in the end. Oddly enough when it comes to letting go, I can forgive others mistakes more quickly than I can my own. I need to do both! :) Great tips!

Sicorra 01/15/2014 10:05 a.m. #

I completely understand where you are coming from as I let worrying rule my life too often. I know you will do very well this year, and it will be exciting to hear all about it.

• Laurie @thefrugalfarmer

Laurie @thefrugalfarmer 01/16/2014 6:04 a.m. #

Excellent post, Sicorra!! Having more fun is definitely something on our agenda this year, and I love your tip about trying a good/new exercise. Two of my friends and I took ice skating lessons one year, and it was SO fun!

Sicorra 01/16/2014 5:01 p.m. #

Hey Laurie - Thanks very much! Ice skating with your friends sounds like a great idea. You get exercise and enjoy their company, all at the same time. Hope you have a great year!!

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 01/17/2014 7:04 a.m. #

Excellent advice, Sicorra! We need to shake it up sometimes to make it all work. Experimenting with different foods to see which make us feel good is so smart. Personally, every time I eat brussels sprouts I feel super! I know, it sounds strange, but it's true.

Sicorra 01/17/2014 7:27 p.m. #

Thanks Maggie!
        That is so cool that brussel sprouts make you feel so good. For some reason I've never really cared for them, but when I think about it, they are really just tiny heads of cabbage and I love cabbage.

• Corinne Kerston @ Home Biz Mom

Corinne Kerston @ Home Biz Mom 01/17/2014 1:38 p.m. #

Finding ways to relax and doing things just for me are the ones I struggle with the most. but you're right, it is important to take care of yourself. I've been sick for a week and I find that even with the increased amount of rest, I'm still able to get the bare minimum done. It's an eye-opener for sure. I'm starting to understand that I don't have to run myself ragged and do everything in one day.

Have a great weekend

Sicorra 01/17/2014 7:28 p.m. #

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Corinne! That definitely zaps all of our energy. We can be resting and think we feel better but as soon as we try to do something we feel like crap again. I hope you are able to get lots of rest and hope you feel better very soon.

• Bren

Bren 01/17/2014 5:23 p.m. #

Great tips Sicorra. I especially like the having fun one, sleeping more, relaxing, and doing something for yourself. Key items in life for sure!

Sicorra 01/17/2014 7:29 p.m. #

Thanks Bren! Having fun is so important and something many of us adults forget to do because life gets in the way. Take care!

Corina Ramos 01/17/2014 5:24 p.m. #

I do these for the most part but I have problem with consistency. I start off great but somewhere along the way I drop the ball.

As you know I'm a big worrier so I have problems letting go but I'm sticking to our pact and I'm learning to let go!

I try and drink plenty of water and this is the first week I put in a good workout...getting back to my old routine is tough ;).

Thanks for sharing these helpful tips Sicorra!

Sicorra 01/17/2014 7:31 p.m. #

Good for you Corina for getting back to your work out. I know you are good at it. Being consistent never comes easy. We constantly have to remind ourselves, but I think that is better than simply forgetting about it. We both have worrying in common, and yes I am trying hard to put an end to that too. Good luck and have a fun weekend!

• Nicole

Nicole 01/17/2014 8:35 p.m. #

Great tips to leave by!! Pushing the envelope, letting go, more fun, do something for yourself more often...Yep, definitely adding these to my 2014 resolutions list. Drinking plenty of water has been on every New Year's Resolution list for the last 10 years it feels like. But it is so important. Gotta get those ounces in.

Thanks for posting, Sicorra!

Sicorra 01/19/2014 8:40 p.m. #

Hey Nicole, Thanks for stopping by! All good things that we all need to practice this year. Hope 2014 goes very well for you :-)

• Jon@2-copper-coins.com

Jon@2-copper-coins.com 01/21/2014 9:28 p.m. #

I've surrounded myself with happy people, and it has made a huge difference. It is difficult to have a crappy attitude when you are in a room of happy, fulfilled people. My wife will also attest how valuable having a professional massage is. She just started getting one each month and her mood has improved dramatically, I'm thankful for that as well.