Three Important Steps To Take For Our Blog Before Going Offline

steps to take before going offline

I’m sure you have come across a post or two where the author has talked about spending more time offline for one reason or another. After all we need that downtime to recharge the old noggin’ so we can create some great content for our readers when we return.

But while we’re away from the socialverse making human contact, the last thing we want to have on our mind is our blog. You know the questions I’m talking about. How does my traffic look? Am I losing fans or followers? Will I be remembered when I get back online? Okay, maybe the last one is a little extreme but you know where I’m going with this, right?

We all want to be able to put our blogs on cruise control if you will and maintain a steady stream of traffic. And perish the thought that we lose some fans or followers while we’re away.

I found there are three important steps we should take for our blog before going offline and I’m going to share those with you today.

And those three important steps are…

Leave A Message

Publish a post and let your readers know you’ll be offline and for how long. It also would be a good idea to do this on your social media networks as well. This way, your readers won’t wonder if you’ve just dropped off the face of the socialverse or if you’re off on vacation somewhere.

Related: It Was Time to Take a Break

Schedule Posts In Advance

I use HootSuite Pro to schedule and tweet my posts throughout the day. It helps me by keeping my blog out there while I’m offline. And don’t just share your own posts. You have made some great connections and I’m sure they’ll be sharing your posts while you’re gone. So schedule some of your favorite posts from other blogs as well and keep sharing the love!

Invite A Guest To Do A Post For You While You’re Offline

You know those great connections I mentioned earlier? You can ask them if they’d like to do a guest post on your blog while you take a break. It’s a win-win situation for everyone. You get to enjoy a peaceful vacation and your guest will have a chance to spotlight their work.

Over To You

How important is it that we keep an online presence even while we’re offline? What are some of the steps you take before going offline? Why don’t you share them in the comments section below?

One more thing before you go, I would really appreciate it if you would share this post with your social media networks!

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

• Brian @ Luke1428

Brian @ Luke1428 01/22/2014 2:37 p.m. #

Great tips Corina! It's always a bit sad to see someone go offline that you have been following. That's why it's great to leave a message explaining what's happening.

Corina Ramos 01/22/2014 6:44 p.m. #

You're exactly right Brian. I've gone to some blogs and there's no sign of life or no reason explaining why.

It boils down to showing a little courtesy, right?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Hope you're having a great day!

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Families

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Families 01/22/2014 6:28 p.m. #

These are excellent tips. I know that when I had difficulty posting, I found guest posts and recycled some of my older content that hasn't been shared like my newer posts.

Corina Ramos 01/24/2014 8:26 a.m. #

Thanks Christy!

I like the idea of recycling posts. I was just telling Jennifer I almost always forget to get a guest to post while I'm gone, LOL.

Thanks for sharing that idea with us! Happy Friday hon, make it a great day ok!

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 01/23/2014 4:18 p.m. #

We all definitely need some down-time. At least I know I do! :) I always try to have leave a post saying that I'm vacation, so people don't worry or think I'm no longer updating, especially if I'm going to be down for more than a week. Of course, the only people who would probably really worry is my parents. LOL!

Corina Ramos 01/24/2014 8:30 a.m. #

You're too funny Tanya!

I hardly take a vacation when I'm offline it's because there is something going on at home...Sicorra knows all too well LOL.

I did take my first real vacation during the holidays last year and I loved it. I might do it again, :).

You're too funny girl!Yes parents need to hear from their kids or we panic. If my mom doesn't hear from me she'll call my sister and say "tell your sister I'm still alive" or "give your sister a quarter so she can call me" you know the ole guilt trip, LOL.

Happy Friday Tanya! Have a great day hon and enjoy that Cali weather!

• Mayura

Mayura 01/28/2014 9:27 p.m. #

Hey Corina,

Wonderful tips for bloggers investing time offline :)

Actually, I was offline for 2 months last year due to personal reasons, but it didn't occur me to leave a message for my readers about my absence. Now it's already in my list whenever I wanna take a long break :)

Scheduling posts in-advance is a wonderful tip dear! I use Buffer and HootSuite for that purpose. Even I could able to schedule pre-written blog posts in last year (first few months) and it was a great way to have more time saved for other stuff too. If I can write 24 posts in advance, I can stop blogging for a year :D lol... Yet it can be time consuming.

You have a lovely week there Corina :)

Cheers...

• Lisa

Lisa 02/01/2014 5:34 a.m. #

Hi Corina, I love your tip for letting readers know you will be offline for some time. Something I must remember. I'm hoping to get some posts done this weekend in advance or at least started. I love your image, where did you find that one? Thanks for sharing these excellent tips for us! Enjoy your weekend.