Magnesium: Crucial Reasons to Drink It Daily

magnesium reasons to drink it daily

Did you know that if you have any of the health issues listed below you could be magnesium deficient? Up until last year, I had no idea that my body was magnesium deficient. When I had any of these health issues I turned to Advil, inhalers, allergy pills, Metamucil, etc, but I was never happy doing that. My husband was also dealing with some of these health issues. For example, at night, he would lie down to sleep and right away his legs would start twitching and cramping. So much so, that he couldn’t fall asleep.

Quite often you read that getting enough calcium everyday is very important, but magnesium is often overlooked, even though calcium and magnesium work hand in hand. If you consume calcium, but never drink or eat something with enough magnesium in it, you will end up with way too much calcium in the cells of your body. And guess what? Too much calcium and not enough magnesium results in a long list of annoying health issues.

Low on Magnesium

Here are other reasons why your body is low on magnesium:

Common medications, that we all take without much thought, cause your body to waste magnesium. Insulin is the cause of my husband’s need for more magnesium, since he is a type 1 diabetic and does insulin injections everyday.  Other medications include:

• antibiotics
  • cortisone
  • birth control pills
  • diuretics

Something as simple as antacids (TUMS) can lower your magnesium levels.

And then there are the foods that we eat. Even the ones that should contain magnesium generally don’t, due to the food processing that removes much of the magnesium.

Reasons Why You Should Use Magnesium

Magnesium relaxes your blood vessels and all of the muscles in your body. If you experience any of the following issues, magnesium will definitely help you.

Restless legs, cramps in your legs and feet, as well as gastrointestinal cramps

Difficulty with PMS and painful periods

Chronic fatigue

Depression

Constipation

Blood clots

Apathy

Tooth decay

Anger

Cold hands and feet

Food cravings for salt and carbohydrates

Irritability

High blood pressure

Heart disease

Anxiety attacks

Asthma

Insomnia

Kidney issues

Using Magnesium

liquid magnesiumAfter speaking with a nutritionist at our local health food store about the health issues that both my husband and I were each experiencing, she recommended two products that we faithfully use on a daily basis.

Before bed we each drink a tablespoon of LifeTime Liquid Calcium Magnesium Citrate. You can find it online or at your local health food store, and it comes in a variety of fruit flavors, such as strawberry, blueberry, grape, orange, pina colada, etc.

Remember to store it in the fridge after opening.

magnesium gelAs we get ready for bed we follow-up with Magnesium Gel. Magnesium Gel is a clear lotion and you can rub small amounts of it on your legs and feet.

You can also rub it on the back of your neck or other areas of your back when your muscles are tight and sore.

As an added suggestion, if you have trouble sleeping, rub a small drop of magnesium gel on your lower back just before you go to bed. Best sleep ever.

Your Turn

I bet you are wondering how something so simple could help you with so many different health issues. Test it out. Have everyone in your family try magnesium for a week or two, and pay attention to how they feel. Check 100 Factors That Can Promote Magnesium Deficiency for more information.

Site Disclaimer

Comments

Corina Ramos 02/04/2014 2:31 p.m. #

I have a lot of the issues you mentioned above.

I'm going to have to look for this at a GNC. Especially the gel. I wonder if it would help with my RLS?

Thanks for telling us about this Sicorra! Catch up with you later my friend!

Sicorra 02/04/2014 8:06 p.m. #

I wonder if GNC will carry it. If not you can find it on Amazon.com and other online vitamin sites. Hope it works well for you.

Corina Ramos 02/07/2014 7:42 p.m. #

Oh yeah, I can get it online too...duh!

Happy Friday girlfriend!

• Corinne Kerston @ Home Biz Mom

Corinne Kerston @ Home Biz Mom 02/04/2014 5:46 p.m. #

Very interesting post! I recently learned that taking magnesium could help with constipation, but I had no idea it helped with all those other issues as well. I do take a calcium/magnesium supplement once a day, but have been thinking of increasing it as the instructions state it can be taken up to 3x a day.

Thanks for sharing this!

Sicorra 02/04/2014 8:08 p.m. #

Sometimes I drink it a couple of times a day too Corinne. Especially if my back gets tight from sitting at the computer all day or if I get a headache. Try it 3 x a day and see how you feel.

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 02/04/2014 8:16 p.m. #

This is intriguing. And very possible. My husband has has some of these problems. I'm definitely going to look into this and also foods that contain magnesium. Thanks so much Sicorra!

Sicorra 02/05/2014 1:54 p.m. #

Thanks Maggie! I hope your husband finds it helpful. :-)

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 02/07/2014 5:04 p.m. #

Very interesting, Sicorra. I never worried about having a magnesium deficiency but it wouldn't surprise me if I had one. I'll definitely have to pick a bottle of the Liquid Calcium Magnesium Nitrate because I actually need more calcium too. :)

• Sue Neal

Sue Neal 02/08/2014 11:22 a.m. #

This is very interesting, Sicorra, but I would be interested to know which kind of foods do contain magnesium - I know you say it's often depleted in processed foods, but there must be some ways in which we can take it in our diet?

• CarolB

CarolB 02/10/2014 6:49 a.m. #

Wow! I knew magnesium was good for you, but I didn't realize the depth of it. I am going to have to rethink my dietary supplements, see how much magnesium I am really taking in daily. Do you know what foods are high in magnesium?
      Happy Monday!

• Arelis Cintron

Arelis Cintron 02/11/2014 10:31 a.m. #

Will have to check this out and see if I feel any different. It's crazy how are body chemistry works. Imagine all the things we're eating that could also attribute to these symptoms! Scary!