Spend Less Money on Gas by Making Simple Changes

spend less money on gas by making simple changes

The price of gas has been volatile for a quite a number of years. And just when you think it is down to a reasonable price it seems to take a drastic jump. In most cases purchasing gasoline so we can get around is a necessity, unless of course you have good access to transit. But what can someone that is on a tight budget do if they want to spend less money on gas?

Organize Your Trips

Instead of running errands or doing grocery shopping everyday, choose one or two days in your week and organize all of your appointments, errands and shopping for those days.

Make a list of everywhere you need to go and plan out your route so that you are not driving around in circles. This is a more efficient use of your time and you will find that you end up spending less at the pump.

Car Pool

If you currently drive to work each day could you car pool with other employees instead?

Also, if you drive your kids to school each day and to other activities, such as soccer practice or dance lessons, could you and the other parents take turns driving a group of your kids to school, and all of their activities?

By setting up a schedule, and taking turns doing this, you will spend less money on gas, and you will also free up some personal time for yourself. Nice added bonus.

Dump the Weight

Do you tend to carry a lot of excess cargo in your trunk or in the back seat of your vehicle?

Do you have a rooftop rack for skis or bikes?

Did you know that the excess cargo causes your vehicle to burn more gas? Take some time to go through your vehicle and remove anything that you do not use on a regular basis.

Do a good cleanup and reorganize the stuff that you have to have with you. Also, remove the rooftop racks, and only have them on the roof of your vehicle on the days you are using them.

Maintain the Speed Limit

The faster you drive the more gas you burn. The more gas you burn the more money you spend.

And you especially burn more gas if you tend to speed away from stop signs and stop lights as if you are driving a race car.

Instead, leave a little earlier next time, and follow the speed limits. This will help you burn less gas, drive more safely, and save money.

Maintenance

Always make sure the maintenance for your vehicle is up-to-date. And check your tire pressure every month or so to make sure all of your tires are at the weight that they should be at.

If you find yourself spending hundreds of dollars a month on gas, give some of the above suggestions a try and see how much money you are able to save.

Comments

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 02/10/2014 10:35 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra! Gas prices do seem to fluctuate wildly. One day they seem okay (i don't know if I'll ever consider it cheap again!) and the next day it's up 20 cents. I relocated my office a few years ago so that saved me quite a bit in gas (and wear to my car). In California, we seem to have one speed - fast. :) And high gas prices. Not a great combo, I guess!

Sicorra 02/11/2014 8:04 a.m. #

That was a great idea to move your office closer to home. You save on gas and maintenance and get to spend less time in your car too.
        And cheap gas, oh I remember those days, back in the 70's :-)

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 02/10/2014 4:07 p.m. #

I used to be really bad about just jumping in my car and running errands without a lot of forethought. Now I try to pack them all in one day and take a big loop, so I'm not criss-crossing across town and wasting time and gas. It has made a huge difference, not only to saving gas money but also making my errands less time-consuming. I could probably be better about maintenance. Since I work from home, I don't drive a lot, which certainly saves some wear on my car, but I'm not really good about checking tires, etc, either. :)And I can still remember when I paid $1 per gallon. I miss those days!

Sicorra 02/11/2014 8:06 a.m. #

I miss those low gas price days too Tanya! And even when it got a bit higher we never dreamed it would go as high as it is these days.

Working from home definitely saves on gas and wear and tear. And isn't it easier to have a plan for the days that you do go out? I find it a lot less stressful.

• Corinne Kerston @ Home Biz Mom

Corinne Kerston @ Home Biz Mom 02/10/2014 7:23 p.m. #

Great tips as always Sicorra! I'm totally guilty of not organizing my trips. I try to consolidate my bulk shopping into big trips, but I always end up running out of one thing and needing to run to the same store just for one thing in between trips. It's frustrating. I like the tip about getting rid of excess cargo. My kids are outgrowing the strollers, yet I still haul around a big double stroller. I don't think I've used it in months. I have plans to sell it, but have been putting it off out of pure laziness. Thanks for the reminder!
      Have a great week!

Sicorra 02/11/2014 8:08 a.m. #

I bet a double stroller takes up some room, doesn't it. I hope you guys are able to sell it. That would be nice - make money, and get it out of your vehicle.

• Pauline

Pauline 02/10/2014 11:01 p.m. #

I also read one should fill the tank in the morning, when the gas is cold and doesn't evaporate so much. I fill up when I see a gas station, instead of going out of my way to find one once the tank is almost empty.

Sicorra 02/11/2014 8:11 a.m. #

Yes, I have read that too Pauline. Right now it is minus 19 for us, so that would be a good time to fill up ;-)

Just out of curiosity - are there gas stations everywhere in Guatemala like they are in the North America, or are they few and far between?

Corina Ramos 02/12/2014 4:47 p.m. #

My husband is in charge of maintenance :) and he is on top of the maintenance of my car.

I didn't know the extra weight used up fuel...one of my duh moments.:)

These are great tips Sicorra and we should keep these in mind with the high gas prices!

Happy Wednesday friend. I hope it's been a good day.

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 02/15/2014 4:36 p.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra! We try to use our little car rather than our van whenever we can. It gets about 50 mpg compared to our van's 25 mpg. So we save about 50% on cost. Love that!