Seven Quick Ways to Get Out of Debt Forever

Quite often you will find that people who are in debt have a lot of stuff. While they may have paid cash for some it, most likely they used credit cards, line of credit, or a bank loan, to pay for their stuff.

When money flows easily into our lives we tend to stop paying attention to how we spend it. Sad, but true. And then one day we wake up and realize that even though we have a good income, we have a ton of debt too, because we just kept spending and spending, without giving it much thought.

Overspending is one of the most common ways that people end up in debt. Other ways include circumstances such as student loans, losing your job, a sudden illness or death in the family, poor investments, or a business failure.

If you are in debt and you just can’t stand it anymore, here are seven things you can do to get out of debt forever.

quick ways to get out of debt forever

• Leslie H. Tayne

Leslie H. Tayne 02/13/2014 11:56 a.m. #

Excellent ways to help yourself get out of debt! Defining your priorities personally and professionally is a great step towards managing your finances in accordance with your values. This also helps trim unnecessary expenses and keeps yourself out of debt in the future. Monitoring your expenses monthly helps to give you an accurate picture of where your money is actually going.

Sicorra 02/13/2014 2:43 p.m. #

Thanks very much Leslie!
        I think defining your priorities is a step that is often skipped when we are busy making money and spending money. But it definitely helps to put things into perspective so that you do not find yourself in deep debt one day and wonder what the heck happened.
        Monitoring expenses can seem like a chore too, but if done right, it can be fun, and extremely useful.

Corina Ramos 02/13/2014 2:55 p.m. #

Mario has old albums I know music lovers would love to get their hands on. But that man won't part with them. :) I guess the longer he keeps them the more valuable they'll be, lol.

Thanks for sharing these great tips! I hope you're having a great day my friend! It's been a crazy week but then you probably already guessed that :).

Talk to you soon!

Sicorra 02/16/2014 7:22 p.m. #

Old albums can definitely be worth some money. I made the mistake of just throwing some old albums in the trash 10 years ago instead of trying to sell them. But just think Corina, the money from Mario's old albums could go towards your house saving fund. :-)

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 02/14/2014 10:56 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra. Defining your priorities is so important and I think it helps make it easier to do all the other steps. I understand it's not always easy selling belongings, cutting back on expenses or taking on a second job … but when you know what you're working towards - it makes much easier to do. Happy Friday!

Sicorra 02/16/2014 7:26 p.m. #

I agree that it may not be easy to do some of those things, and therefore it is important for people to keep in mind that some of the changes are only short term and not life long changes.

And quite often the stuff that I am suggesting a person sell is stuff that they probably really didn't need to begin with, but purchased just because.

We sold a lot of stuff to help pay down our debt. If we really need any of that stuff again down the road, and we then have the cash, we can always buy it again.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 02/17/2014 4:46 p.m. #

Nice job creating the infographic, Sicorra! Looks great! :) I really need to take a look around my apartment and see what I could sell. I've had mixed success with Craigslist before, but you can't see what you don't promote!

Sicorra 02/20/2014 3:11 p.m. #

Hey Tanya, Thanks very much!
        Craigslist is not my favorite way to go either. Too many bad stories.
        A garage sale is good, but not for apartments, right?
        What I really like, are good old fashioned newspaper ads. Yeah, you might still get a few scammers, but you can try to week them out easier. And make sure you are never alone when meeting someone to sell something.