10 Ways to Drastically Reduce Your Grocery Bill

Raise your hand if you are guilty of spending too much on groceries. And raise both hands if you spend too much and then end up throwing some in the garbage because they spoiled before you used them. Those are two bad habits that many of us have had at some point in our life.

Sometimes we throw out something simple such as expired sour cream or milk. Other times it could be an entire chicken that accidentally got pushed to the back of the fridge and we forgot about it.

Basically we are throwing our hard earned money straight into the garbage, and most likely going out the next day and buying the exact same products we just threw away. Been there, done that?

When it comes to grocery shopping it is difficult to say how much each household should spend per month, because the cost of groceries varies greatly from city to city. But what we all can do is find ways to spend less money than we currently do, and plan things out better so that we never have to throw food out again.

Do you think you can drastically reduce your grocery bill? Here are 10 tips to get you on the right track.

ways to drastically reduce your grocery bill

Comments

• Debt Busting Chick

Debt Busting Chick 02/20/2014 6:41 a.m. #

This has become a recent problem for me. When I first started paying off debt I cut my grocery spending right down but I found what I was buying wasn't healthy. So now I've started to buy health food my grocery bill gone back up again. However, i haven't really been planning my meals and using my freezer as I should so I reckon that'll start to help the budget when I do.

Sicorra 02/20/2014 9:06 a.m. #

I think reducing our grocery expenses is always a work in progress. Healthy food can definitely cost more so the challenge to pay less is greater, but you may find that creating a meal plan will help you get back on track to saving some money.

Corina Ramos 02/20/2014 9:10 a.m. #

Hey Sicorra,

I have to admit I raised both hands! The thing I do is going to the store on an empty stomach. I want everything, lol.

The other mistake I make is taking a kid or the hubs. They'll want stuff that's not on my list. Of course I can't say no to Mario because he pays for the bill ;) but I do let him know it's not in the budget. He just laughs at me and puts in the basket anyway. Susto, right?

I don't leave home without my Kroger card. I love the savings I get with it, especially the .10 cents off fuel.

Great post girlfriend! Hope you're having a great day! Talk to ya soon.

Cori

Sicorra 02/20/2014 3:13 p.m. #

Hey Cori!!

Too funny. I raised both hands too when it comes to wasting food.

Shopping on an empty stomach would be too difficult for me. I would clean the place out :-)

Your Kroger card sounds like an excellent deal. We only get 5 cents off fuel, but it is better than nothing.

Hope you are doing well :-)

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Families

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Families 02/20/2014 3:19 p.m. #

I agree I throw away quite a bit of food myself. I accidentally bought some apples two weeks ago that were expired. I ended up tossing them instead of returning it to the store. Next time I will pay closer attention.

Sicorra 02/20/2014 4:50 p.m. #

I have done that too Christy, and I figure the cost to drive back to return them is more than what it costs to throw them out, so end up tossing them as well. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often to either of us :-)

• Corinne @ One Income Life

Corinne @ One Income Life 02/20/2014 8:18 p.m. #

I'll admit to throwing away food too often, especially fruits and vegetables. I recently got back into planning my meals each week and it really helps with the costs. I was finding myself staring into the fridge not knowing what to cook, and then chucking the entire idea and getting take out far too often.
      I also recently subscribed to emeals. We don't follow the weekly plan completely because I have a picky hubby and daughter, but it gives me a good starting point. I sub a couple of our faves and build our menu. Planning has also made us eat a little better so bonus!

Sicorra 02/22/2014 3:05 p.m. #

Those are all great advantages to meal planning Corinne! And being flexible and doing some substitutes when you feel like it is much better than ordering in. We too sometimes cave and order in Chinese and the next day I think, why didn't I just make... So I am trying to make adjustments and order in just a few times a year now.

• Leslie H. Tayne Esq.

Leslie H. Tayne Esq. 02/25/2014 11:41 a.m. #

Great tips to cutting down on grocery expenses! Planning what you need to buy in advance helps cut down on costs and wasted food. Check out coupons or specials at the grocery store you are at. You might be surprised at how much coupons can cut down on costs. Try to go food shopping when you are not hungry. Your eyes are usually bigger than your stomach! It'll help to decrease impulse spending too!

Sicorra 02/25/2014 7:21 p.m. #

You mention coupons at the grocery store. We have one major grocery chain in Canada that has a bulletin board full of brand name coupons right as you walk into the front door. They are the only store that offers that. The others, if you didn't bring them with you, you are out of luck.