Seven Excellent Side Hustles For Moms

excellent side hustles for moms

Whether you want to make money to help out with the family’s finances or for some extra mad money to buy the handbag and shoes we know you truly deserve, there are lots of ways you can make some extra money on the side without spending too much time away from the fam.

Moms you don’t have to put in nine to five hours to earn extra money.

Today I’m going to share seven excellent side hustles moms can do from the comfort of their own home.

Seven Side Hustles For Moms

Direct Sales

If you have the gift of gab then think about a direct sales business. Products like cosmetics, chocolates, candles, lingerie, or Tupperware are popular items that will sell well when you get a group of ladies together with some great food, beverages and free samples of your product!

Related: Direct Sales Company Directory

I don’t know about you but when I’m around friends, food, wine and a catalog of products I like I can go to town!

Sell Your Crafts

If you’re crafty why not consider selling your items on sites like Etsy. Etsy is a site where you can sell your handmade items. You’ll find just about everything there. From jewelry to homemade chocolate it’s the place to showcase your craftiness.

I know it sounds old school but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve scrambled around looking for a good seamstress to hem up a pair of pants or fix Marisa’s costumes for the dance team.

If you’re good with a needle and thread why not make some extra money on the side with your sewing talents.

Become A Notary

Everyone needs a notary and becoming one is about a three-step process depending on where you live. Most states will require you purchase the necessary bond and seal, fill out an application and pay a fee.

Prepare Income Tax Returns

If you think people who prepare income tax returns make money only part of the year that is a huge misconception. There are businesses that require monthly or quarterly services.

The average course takes about 10 weeks to complete so it won’t take long to start making money in this field.

I know that term is more used for teens but if you can help other moms out by taking care of their kids it’s a win-win situation for everyone. I mean, you already have childcare experience, right?

Keep in mind though there are other responsibilities that come with babysitting so make sure you think things through carefully and thoroughly. And don’t take on more kids than you can care for or that’s required by your state’s law.

Serve On An Online Jury

Yes you read it right. You can make money listening to cases and giving feedback online. Check out and sign up as a juror.

Over To You

What other side hustles do you recommend for moms? Let’s share the ideas in the comments section below.

Thanks for reading today’s post. Before you go, I would really appreciate it if you’d share this post in your social media networks. Let’s share these ideas across the socialverse.

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

• moneystepper

moneystepper 03/19/2014 7:33 a.m. #

I know a lot of "moms" earning some good side income through ETSY, selling their crafts and creations in their "spare time".

Corina Ramos 03/19/2014 11:34 a.m. #

Hey there moneystepper,

I discovered Etsy last year. I saw so many things on there I loved. There are some crafty people right? I wish I had half their talent!

Thanks for sharing that with us. I hope your comment encourages moms out there to give them a try.

Happy Wednesday!

• Janiece Payne

Janiece Payne 03/19/2014 10:16 a.m. #

I animal sit for people. I have always loved animals and love taking care of them. I charge $10 a day and I have fun doing it.

Corina Ramos 03/21/2014 9:43 a.m. #

OMD I think you have the best job ever! If I had the chance I would dog sit too.

Thanks for sharing this idea with us! Happy Friday Janiece!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 03/19/2014 10:43 a.m. #

Great suggestions, Corina. Etsy can be a dangerous place to hangout - so many things I love. Ejury is a new one to me. It's amazing all the opportunities available when you take a closer look.

Corina Ramos 03/21/2014 9:47 a.m. #

Hi Shannon.

I'm new to Etsy too and yes that is a place that spells trouble. I can't tell you how many times I was tempted to get my card out. Especially when you can't be the price. But you'll be glad to know I didn't cave :)!

Really when you stop to think about it there are all kinds of opportunities out there, I love it!

Happy Friday Shannon! Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts.

• Brian @ Luke1428

Brian @ Luke1428 03/19/2014 12:53 p.m. #

When my wife was a stay at home mom, she did tutoring. She tutored math and charged $40/hr. and $50/hr. on the weekends. At that rate, you could bring in a good amount per week.

Corina Ramos 03/21/2014 9:57 a.m. #

Hi Brian,

Wow, now that was a hustle! I love that she was available on the weekends too.

Thanks for sharing this idea with us. I hope mamas or anyone for that matter, read this and get motivated!

TGIF Brian, have a fab day!

• Jen Kehl - My Skewed View

Jen Kehl - My Skewed View 03/20/2014 7:18 p.m. #

We do Direct Sales and while it's not get rich quick it is definitely worth the time and effort for the residual income we are earning!

Corina Ramos 03/21/2014 10:06 a.m. #

You're right Jen. I know some ladies who are doing it full time. One of them has an inventory at her house. She's gets and order and fills it quick.

I had thought about this when I started working from home but having already been in sales for 9 years I was ready for a change.

Funny story: My sister-in-law had a passion party. She didn't invite her mom because of the products. Well my mother-in-law decides to go by and girl I never said a woman turn more red! I almost died laughing...but that was the wine.

It was wild...anyway. Thanks for stopping by and sharing that with us. I think Direct Sales are underrated. There is lots of money to be made but you have to want to do it.

TGIF J!