How to Get Motivated, Quickly and Easily

how to get motivated quickly and easily

What stops you from getting things done? I mean things like pursuing your dream job, or tackling your debt, or writing that book you have always planned on writing, or getting into shape. The thing that stops me from getting things done is that I tend to procrastinate. And procrastination is usually the result of having a lack of motivation to get things done. And even if the motivation is there in the beginning following through until the end can still be difficult. So what can you and I do to get motivated and stay on track long enough to accomplish all the things that we have always dreamed of doing?

Tips On How to Motivate Yourself

Be Specific and Focus

Be absolutely clear about what it is that you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to save enough money to travel around the world for a year? Or do you want to pay off all of your credit card debt within the next 18 months? Be very specific about what it is that you want to do.

Then focus on what needs to be done to achieve it, and ignore any distractions.

Picture the End Result

Working on individual tasks to achieve a mega goal can seem mundane and boring, and once we get bored we quickly lose our motivation. To stop that from happening to you, you need to know exactly what the end result will look like either through words or with images.

If you want to travel, write about where you will go and what you will do. If you want to pay off your credit cards, write about how being debt free will allow you to do so many other things in your life, such as buying a new house, or saving for retirement.

You can also create a vision board filled with pictures that you can use to inspire you.

Create a Plan

Start by writing down all of the steps you need to take to achieve your goal.

Take Action Daily

You created all of the steps that you need to take.

Now setup a daily schedule that shows exactly which day you will complete each task. Include on your schedule who you will ask for help. You will find that if you continue to take action and work hard on something you will easily maintain your motivation.

Ask for Help

Sometimes we have tasks that we need to complete but we can’t do them on our own. If that is the case for you, identify those tasks and figure out who you can ask for help.

You may ask a friend or business associate, or you may wish to turn to a business coach, life coach, or credit counselor.

Education

Understand when you can do something on your own and when you need to do some research first. For example, if finishing your basement is what you are trying to motivate yourself to do, head to the library to do some research on how to get things done. If possible, speak to experts in the field.

Pat Yourself on the Back

Acknowledging our accomplishments is something that so many of us neglect. We are in such a hurry to move on to the next step that we forget to celebrate how far we have come. Or we downplay how much we have gotten done and tell ourselves it isn’t enough.

We all need to stop doing that to ourselves. The easiest way to get motivated and stay motivated is to celebrate and have fun along the way.

Deal with Obstacles

How often do you encounter obstacles and think “oh, just forget it”? That is a perfectly natural response. The trick to staying motivated though is to be prepared for those obstacles before they even happen.

As you create your plan list any obstacles that you think you may encounter.

Begin to manage these obstacles upfront by listing ways in which you will deal with each one of them. Also include in your plan any people that you may be able to turn to for advice.

Then, if an obstacle gets in your way, instead of worrying about it, you can use this information to figure out how to work around it, and quickly move on.

Never Quit

Never quit. Always look for solutions instead, and turn your dreams into reality!

Comments

• William

William 03/31/2014 1:06 a.m. #

Thanks for writing this motivating piece of writing. In my opinion never quitting is the way to go. As the saying goes, a winner never quits, a quitter never wins. Ultimately this is what makes the difference between quitter and winner. Thanks for reminding me again about this truth.

Sicorra 03/31/2014 2:53 p.m. #

So true! And if you quit you will never know if you won or not because you simply never made it that far.

• Ryan Biddulph

Ryan Biddulph 03/31/2014 4:46 a.m. #

I love the tips! Get super clear on why you want to achieve some goal. Establishing full clarity helps you kick yourself if you feel flagging here and there.

This online bit can be deflating at times. How you go about it determines how far you get.

Excellent insights.

Tweeted!

Sicorra 03/31/2014 2:54 p.m. #

All of this can apply to working online Ryan and I agree, working online can be really deflating at times. That is why it is important to know when to ask for help and how to deal with obstacles too, I think.

Corina Ramos 03/31/2014 8:55 a.m. #

Hey Sicorra!

Goals and visuals are definitely important because as you say we get caught up in obstacles that we easily tend to throw in the towel and give up.

The one thing I'm bad at is asking for help. I like to try and figure things out to learn something new. The only exception is html codes, those suckers scare me LOL.

Great and motivating post my friend! I think it's gonna be a great week :)!

Happy Monday Sicorra! :)

Sicorra 03/31/2014 2:56 p.m. #

Hey Corina!

Asking for help and knowing who to ask for help can be very difficult, but it doing it can also make life so much easier. You know I will help you with HTML anytime :-)

Here's to a great week!!

Corina Ramos 04/01/2014 3:36 p.m. #

I know...I lost count of how many times you saved my arse :) LOL!

Thanks for sharing this post at the blog party! Hope you're having a productive day!

• Natalie @thefinancegirl.com

Natalie @thefinancegirl.com 03/31/2014 8:58 a.m. #

This post is a great reminder on how to stay focused and keep things going. Everyone needs these pick-me-ups, so thank you for writing this post. With the right motivation and drive, anything is possible. But so often, our day-to-day activities get in the way. Refocusing and living intentionally are the best ways to cure this problem.

Sicorra 03/31/2014 2:58 p.m. #

I completely agree with you; so often our day to day activities derail our focus and can really mess up our plans. And on those days it is really easy to just say forget it, but we need to find ways to work around that.

• Monisha Kapur

Monisha Kapur 03/31/2014 9:33 a.m. #

THANK YOU for this post, it's exactly what I needed!! I recently launched an online wardrobe consultation business and while it's great because I finally got the courage to do what I want to do- it's been really tough to motivate myself sometimes because I have fallen into the "work on individual task" rut. Writing about my goal, creating a plan and patting myself on the back (funny how this one always gets forgotten) are definitely things I will start to incorporate into my routine.

Thanks again for sharing!!
      - Monisha

Sicorra 03/31/2014 3 p.m. #

Monisha - great to meet you! Congrats on launching an online wardrobe consultation business. That is very exciting. I love you website, esp the latest trend in shoes. I know that maintaining your motivation is a lot harder then it sounds, but just keep going. I am sure you will do well.

• Elena

Elena 03/31/2014 10:06 a.m. #

Hi Sicorra, I am coming from Not Now Mom's Busy blog party. I think you gave great advice. I especially like your tip on writing down, writing can do amazing things! Thanks again!

Sicorra 03/31/2014 3:01 p.m. #

Thanks very much Elena! Great to connect with you.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/03/2014 12:43 p.m. #

Love this, Sicorra! When I find myself struggling to get motivated, it's often because I haven't created a specific plan - I'm too broad. You do need to fine-tune what you want and then break it down into bite-size action steps. Sometimes looking at every step you need to make is overwhelming. But one or two steps every day is doable.

Sicorra 04/03/2014 3:25 p.m. #

Thanks very much Shannon! Yes, it is important to break things down into smaller steps, because as you mentioned, otherwise whatever you want to accomplish is too broad and then it is difficult to know where to start. Once things appear difficult most of us think about quitting instead of taking action.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 04/09/2014 2:58 p.m. #

This is exactly what I needed to read Sicorra. I saw it pop up my reader last week but I was too busy coughing to read it. LOL! I definitely need to get a plan together, complete with daily action steps. I sometimes get stuck on asking for help. I don't know why. Probably because I am normally the one people come to for help, so maybe it feels weird. It's something I need to get over because so many people are happy to help and it really can make a huge difference.

Sicorra 04/10/2014 11:04 a.m. #

Hey Tanya, welcome back to the land of the living.

Yes, you are right, so many people are happy to help. Writing down who you will ask is important as you create your daily action steps. Then, when you get to that step you just do what it says. Things become a lot less complicated that way, and it allows you to work through each task rather quickly.