12 Mistakes You Made at Your Last Job Interview #Infographic

Spring is typically the time of year when new grads are out job hunting. Competing with them for all the latest jobs are people that are either currently unemployed or are working, but are in search of something better. A huge component of your job search is that dreaded interview. In some cases you will only have to meet with and impress one person to land the job. Other times you will be invited to meet with a panel of people from the company that you are applying to work with. And, there are instances where you will be asked to attend a series of interviews, all leading to the same job.

Interviewing can be quite nerve racking, and therefore it is extremely important to be very well prepared for each and every interview. Unfortunately mistakes still happen during the interview. Check out 12 mistakes you made at your last job interview.

mistakes you made at your last job interview

Comments

• Stephanie May

Stephanie May 05/02/2014 8:43 a.m. #

Awesome infographic, Sicorra! You've made some great points here! I actually remember once back right after high school, I had went for a job interview and the interviewer actually thanked me for dressing so well. I got the job, so that certainly must have helped! Thanks for the great post, I love the cute little character people! Have a great day girl! :)

Sicorra 05/02/2014 10:57 a.m. #

Hey Stephanie! Thanks very much.

Great to hear that your interview after high school worked out so well for you and that you got that job. That is always exciting.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great weekend!

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 05/02/2014 2:15 p.m. #

I was actually late to an interview once. My friend had referred me to the company she was working at and meet with beforehand. When I went to the security desk, I found out that the HR department was in a different building, which my friend didn't realize since it had been in the same building when she interviewed. So I'm panicking and trying to find the building, get lost, blah, blah, blah ... eventually I find it and meet with HR. It was so embarrassing, but guess what? They still hired me. Although I will never be late for an interview again because I was really, really lucky! :) Have a great weekend, Sicorra!

Sicorra 05/03/2014 4:03 p.m. #

I can only imagine how panicked you must have felt. My heart would have been racing too. That is excellent that you were hired anyways. I am sure they were quite impressed with your skills and talent Tanya!

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 05/02/2014 9:35 p.m. #

Oh, my gosh...playing with the cell phone! I'm so surprised at how much people do this nowadays. If I'm out to dinner with friends or something and they pull it out, I get so annoyed. Apparently I stare daggers, because people always put them right away. I can't imagine doing that on a job interview!

Sicorra 05/03/2014 4:07 p.m. #

I love the way you get people to put their cell phones away. :-) I always hate it when out with people and they start playing with their phones and chatting with other people. And I find it funny to watch couples when they are out for dinner and instead of talking to each other they are texting with someone on their phones.

• Stephanie @ Six Figures Under

Stephanie @ Six Figures Under 05/03/2014 1:38 a.m. #

It's crazy that some of these things have to be mentioned, like not eating during an interview. But seriously, some people really need to be *taught* how to be professional.

My husband's law office was just hiring a new receptionist and some of the resumes were written like text messages (not spelling out the words)! Those resumes went straight to the trash. Even some of the people who got called for interviews just plain did not show up.

Sicorra 05/03/2014 4:12 p.m. #

I agree, some do need to be taught.

I was laughing at the resumes you mentioned. I bet that happens a lot these days. The younger generation just does not know any better and they think it is perfectly fine. They probably wondered why they didn't get a call for an interview.