Perfect Ways to Welcome a New Neighbour

ways to welcome a new neighbour

With everyone leading such hectic lives these days it seems as if welcoming new neighbours and making new friends is a thing of the past. But that is kind of sad, isn’t it? I mean isn’t it nice to walk out your front door and see a friendly face? A neighbour that smiles and waves hello. One that stops for a quick chat now and then just to see how you are doing. Personally, I love living in a friendly, yet quiet neighbourhood. Now I am not saying that my neighbours and I are best friends. But we are friendly, with one another, happy to help each other shovel the dreadful snow, and would be there in an instant if they needed any other help. And as people move away and new people move in I think it is important to take a minute to welcome new neighbours and help them feel comfortable.

Fun Ways to Welcome a New Neighbour

Start with Introductions

The quickest and easiest way to make a new neighbour feel welcome is to simply wave and say hello the first time you see them. Walk over, introduce yourself and casually have a conversation.

Deliver a Treat

If you happen to be home on the day your new neighbour moves in, consider taking a treat over for them and their friends or movers. You could whip up a batch of homemade cookies. Or you could drop by your local grocery or donut store and grab some fresh donuts for them.

Drop off a Nice Plant or Flowers

If your introduction with your new neighbours went well consider a non-edible gift such as a small bouquet of flowers or a nice plant that they can plant in their new garden.

Create a Simple Welcome Package

While your new neighbours may simply be moving from one part of town to another, there are times when they are new to your city. Heck they may even by new to your country, like our neighbour was.

Related: Meet the Neighbors

If that is the case they may feel lost and a bit lonely. Help them out by putting together a small welcome package full of information. You could include garbage collection and recycling dates, fliers from the local grocery store and hardware store, directions to the nearest coffee shop, a good drycleaner, a good hairdresser, and so on.

Host a Get to Know You Potluck

Another way to help new neighbours feel welcome is to host a get to know you potluck event. Consider a Sunday afternoon picnic or BBQ. Or if it is too cold out for that, consider a wine and cheese party. Invite your new neighbours, of course, as well as other neighbours that you enjoy speaking with. It does not have to be a big party or a long party. A couple of hours is perfect for a meet and greet.

Corina Ramos 05/08/2014 11:26 a.m. #

Great ideas Sicorra.

We have National Night Out or something like that. Anyway it encourages us to get to know our neighbors.

Well, I've told you about my neighborhood, they don't go for that kind of stuff...sad I know.

I know the neighbors to the left of us and that's about it. Oh and of course my parents LOL.

Thanks for sharing this girl. Hope all is well!

Sicorra 05/09/2014 1:45 p.m. #

National Night Out sounds very cool. I know, you don't feel comfortable with your current neighbors, but hopefully you will be able to change that soon.

Have a great weekend!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 05/08/2014 11:30 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra. We are fortunate to live in a friendly neighborhood too. It really does make a difference. Having moved several times in my adult life, it was always nice when the neighbors made a point to introduce themselves and make you feel welcome, especially when you are new to city. It's nice to have someone tell you what's nearby and where to go for things.

Sicorra 05/09/2014 1:47 p.m. #

Your neighborhood sounds lovely Shannon. It is definitely nice when people make the effort to say hello and introduce themselves, because when you think about, these are people that you most likely will see everyday.

Have a great weekend Shannon!

• Ryan Biddulph

Ryan Biddulph 05/08/2014 3:19 p.m. #

Hi Sicorra,

Bringing a nice little gift makes all the difference in the world. Simply be friendly, and generous, and know it's quite uncomfortable to be the new kid on the block. That's why it's on the neighborhood watch crew to be inviting and engaging with new neighbors.

Sicorra 05/09/2014 1:49 p.m. #

You are right Ryan, it can be uncomfortable to be the new kid on the block, and if you are the type of person that appreciates a friendly and safe neighborhood, then it is always nice when people come over to say hello after they see you move in.

Hope you have a great weekend!

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 05/09/2014 9:42 p.m. #

Love these ideas. I think it's kind of sad that I think of them as "old school" because no one does them anymore, but they really should!

Sicorra 05/11/2014 3:14 p.m. #

I agree, they are old school, and I wish more people did do them. When we moved into the house we are in now our next door neighbor greeted my husband the first evening and they chatted for about 20 mins. while shoveling the sidewalks. It just felt wonderful to instantly know someone nice on our new street. We met the others as the days went on. By not taking the time, people are missing out.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 05/10/2014 12:08 p.m. #

I've always lived in apartments since leaving home. With the exception of one place, I have been fortunate that all my neighbors were friendly and considerate, although I cannot say that ever really got to know them. Neighbors come and go with greater frequency when you rent. But as long as they are not loud and smile when you see them, then I'm content. My current apartment tries do regular gatherings so people can get to know one another. I haven't attended any, but maybe I should! Have a great weekend!

Sicorra 05/11/2014 3:17 p.m. #

You know what, I too found when I lived in apt buildings that I hardly got to know anyone even though everyone lives so close together.

That is cool that your building has those events. Might be fun.

Hope your weekend went well.

• The Wallet Doctor

The Wallet Doctor 05/12/2014 10:32 a.m. #

I really like to make cookies as a way to greet new people. I try to make at least two batches with varying types. That way they'll have a bit of a selection in case they don't like chocolate chip. Maybe I'll start to try some of your other suggestions as well!