7 Foods You Should Never Keep in the Fridge

7 foods you should never keep in the fridge

When you come home from the grocery store which items do you put in your fridge and which do you leave on your counter or put in your pantry? Sometimes it is hard to know where to keep a certain product, especially if this is your first time buying that product. Or you may have been buying that product for years, but perhaps you were storing it incorrectly and always wondered why it went bad quickly, or just never tasted quite right. For starters it could be because you were putting certain foods in your fridge instead of storing them elsewhere. Here are 7 foods you should never keep in the fridge.

Potatoes

Potatoes are best stored in a cool, dry, dark place. And they should be stored by themselves. We keep ours in a room in our basement that we rarely go into. And our cats can’t get in there either, so we don’t have to worry about them sniffing the potatoes. After you buy your potatoes and bring them home, remove them from the plastic bag they are in and place them in a clean cardboard box. Do not wash them until a few minutes before you need them. If you do not use them often, make sure to check-in on them occasionally because eventually they will go bad and a bad potato smells nasty.

Fresh Garlic

Fresh garlic is something that you should definitely store at room temperature. We place our fresh garlic in a small bowl and keep it our kitchen pantry, where it is dry and dark.

Avocados

Avocados are something that we rarely buy, but the last time we did we automatically put them in the fridge. When I went to use them a few days later they seemed okay. Since then I have learned that if you want them to ripen you should never keep them in the fridge. But if they are already ripe, then it is okay to store them in the fridge for a couple of days.

Coffee Beans

Years ago people started saying that if you have a large amount of coffee beans the best way to keep them fresh is to keep them in the freezer. But then people confused freezer and fridge and figured if the freezer was okay the fridge would be okay too. The best way to keep your coffee beans fresh and full of flavor is by keeping them out of the fridge. For small amounts use an airtight container that you can place in your pantry or leave on the counter. You can store a large bag of coffee beans in the freezer for up to one month.

Liquid Honey

If you store your liquid honey in the fridge it will start to crystallize and the next time you go to use it you will find it difficult to squeeze out of the bottle. The best place to store a bottle of honey is in your kitchen pantry or cupboard. Make sure the lid is on tight, and you will find that it will taste great for a long time.

Tomatoes

Do you store your tomatoes in the fridge? We use to until we realized that the cold fridge zaps away all the good flavours in the tomatoes. If you want to eat delicious tomatoes then keep them out of the fridge. Place them in a basket on your counter top. Or if you have pets that may want to play with them, you can always put your basket of tomatoes in your pantry.

Bananas

I have never actually put bananas in the fridge. However, once they are quite ripe, I do peel all of them and wrap them in plastic wrap so that I can freeze them for my smoothies or to use for baking later on.

Over to You

Do you store any of these foods in your fridge?

Comments

• Uplifting Families

Uplifting Families 05/20/2014 5:42 p.m. #

I never thought about keeping tomatoes out of the fridge. In fact, I store my avocados in the fridge unless I want them to ripen quickly.

Sicorra 05/22/2014 10:16 a.m. #

Keeping tomatoes in the fridge will help them last longer, but have you ever noticed that they do not taste as sweet as ones that are left out at room temperature? And if left in the fridge too long they can become mushy inside.

• Ryan Biddulph

Ryan Biddulph 05/20/2014 7:38 p.m. #

Hi Sicorra,

Interesting! Here in SE Asia I store more than a few things in the fridge to lengthen their lives, but bananas will go South fast if you fridgerate 'em lol.

Sicorra 05/22/2014 10:22 a.m. #

I know, it can lengthen the life of some products, but it also changes and the flavour, and sometimes not in the best way.

• Heidi

Heidi 05/21/2014 8:36 a.m. #

I was surprised to hear about Tomatoes and Fresh Garlic! I've always stored those in my fridge! Crazy! Thanks for sharing.

Sicorra 05/22/2014 10:23 a.m. #

Thanks for stopping by Heidi. Fresh garlic is much better at room temperature. Maybe give it a try and see what you think. And don't worry, it still stays fresh for a long time.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 05/21/2014 11:19 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra! It seems like refrigeration is good for extending life but it definitely can make some fruits, in particular, lose some of their taste. I find with strawberries they may spoil faster when kept outside but they taste better!

Sicorra 05/22/2014 10:25 a.m. #

Thanks Shannon, and yes, things do taste much better when kept at room temp. With strawberries for example, room temp is the best. Have you ever noticed how little flavor frozen strawberries have? Even ones you freeze yourself?

Corina Ramos 05/21/2014 2:52 p.m. #

Thanks for sharing this Sicorra.

I like to eat cold bananas so I'll put one in the fridge to chill it oh and I have put potatoes in the fridge. Leaving them out seemed like they would go to waste faster.

I learned something new today :). Thanks again for putting this post together!

Happy Wednesday!

Sicorra 05/22/2014 10:26 a.m. #

Thanks Cori !

I like cold (frozen too) bananas too.

Potatoes will last for a verrrry long time at room temp in a dark room (not in the sun). Not great to refrigerate them when they are raw.

Have a good week!

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 05/21/2014 4:14 p.m. #

I have definitely been guilty of putting tomatoes in the fridge and you are absolutely right - it takes away it's yumminess. I sometimes put bananas in the fridge when they are ripening too fast. I like mine a bit green if I'm eating as is. Although now days, if they get too ripe, I just freeze them for smoothies, like you do. My Mom always stores her coffee in the freezer, although I'm not sure if she still does. My parents don't drink coffee, so she only ever made it during family gatherings. Sadly, most of the only-coffee drinkers have passed away. I used to store my coffee in the freezer (like mother, like daughter) until I read that was a no-no. And I had to chuckle over the comment about cat's playing with tomatoes. Just last week, Max did that. I caught him batting around one of the tomatoes I bought. My bad for leaving them under protected against one mischievous cat!

Sicorra 05/22/2014 10:31 a.m. #

I know, I think many of us put tomatoes in the fridge, but when you think about it, they are not refrigerated at the store. And yes, any sweetness the tomato may have seems to disappear once they have been refrigerated.

I knew the cat thing would catch your attention. I can just imagine MaxE playing ball with a tomato. So much fun for them.

We do not leave any food on the counter after a few bad experiences. Once, our oldest cat tried to eat a fresh loaf of bread during the night. And another time, our younger cat tried to walk away with a fresh steak while it was on the table waiting for the BBQ to heat up outside. :-) They are quick, ya know.

• Itachi

Itachi 05/30/2014 9:50 a.m. #

Bread. I never put bread in the fridge. To me, it ruins the softness of it (unless you microwave it etc, which ruins it further).

Sicorra 05/30/2014 2:44 p.m. #

I completely agree! I use to put it in the fridge thinking I was keeping it from going moldy, but you are so right, it just went stale instead.