Excellent Ways To Save Money On Groceries Without Using Coupons

save money on groceries without using coupons

Not everyone likes taking the time to go through coupons. Shewt, let’s be honest, in between work and running the house, who has the time nowadays. It’s no secret I love couponing but I will be the first to admit that part of the process is a tedious and often time consuming one. For me and others, it’s worth it if it means saving money on our grocery bill.

Then there are folks who don’t believe couponing actually saves money. And the whole couponing community drew a gasp of air, LOL. But just because they aren’t into couponing it doesn’t mean they don’t like to save money like us the ever loyal and extreme couponer.

If you aren’t a fan of coupons and the extreme couponing frenzy doesn’t catch your attention but you still want to save money on groceries, fret not my friends. There are some things you can do to save money on your food bill without having to print or clip coupons and still keep the fridge and pantry stocked. And in this post, I’m going to share five of them with you.

Four Ways To Save Money On Groceries Without Using Coupons

Grocery Store Reward Programs

The first thing I would recommend is joining a reward’s program. Look at the different ones offered by your local grocers and choose the best one that will save you the most money. The reward card often comes with extra savings without the hassle of clipping coupons. And if they have an app, make sure it’s on your phone. Apps like Target’s cartwheel have extra savings on your purchases as well.

Buy Larger Quantities

Buy bagged veggies and fruits. For example, at Kroger, I can get a 5lb bag of potatoes for about $3.00 versus buying individual potatoes for $1.39 a pound.  Also, consider purchasing bags of fruit instead of paying per pound and even though cut and prepackaged fruit is more convenient, it’s more expensive, too.

Take advantage of family packs of beef, pork or chicken and split to use for two different meals. Check the meat section of your grocery store for packaged meats that include veggies.

Do the math. Check unit prices for the products to see if buying in bulk is cheaper than buying a regular sized packaged item.

Bake It Yourself

Avoid junk food but if you have to have something sweet a box of cake mix and icing will be less than $4.00 versus a small box of cookies from the bakery that are about $4.99.

Price Match

Seems like pretty simple things to do right? You can also save money by planning your meals around your grocery store’s sales. Or, if you’re into price matching, take all the circulars and go to stores like Walmart who have programs like the price ad match program. This way, you’ll get all the sales from the local grocery stores in your area at one store.

Over To You

I am sure there are other means of saving money on groceries without coupons.  If you aren’t a couponer, how are you saving money on your grocery bill? Share what works for you in the comments section below!

Before you leave, I would appreciate it if you would share this post in your social media pages. Thanks in advance for sharing and happy shopping my friends!

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

• Jessi

Jessi 08/14/2014 12:53 p.m. #

Love this! I've always been a couponer but the last month I haven't cut a single coupon - no joke, but I've actually saved over half our grocery bill by shopping quickly. I'm in and out in 20 minutes which means that I stick to my list because I don't have time to wander the aisles.

Corina Ramos 08/14/2014 1:42 p.m. #

Thanks Jess!

Yes, sticking to the list is a must! I like to go alone because if I take a kid or the hubs I come home with more than was on my list :).

Thanks for commenting! Have a great day!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 08/15/2014 11:13 a.m. #

I admit that I'm not much of a couponer, unless I'm shopping online. Then I will do a quick search to see if there are any coupons. I do meal plan and shop with a list and that definitely makes a huge difference. When I don't, I end up with random and often unnecessary things in my cart! Have a great weekend, ladies!

Corina Ramos 08/21/2014 3:34 p.m. #

Hi Shannon!

Yes, I agree extreme couponing does mean putting stuff in the cart the is unnecessary. I have seen pictures of buys and there are like 20 chocolate bars and three packs of razor blades....really??? LOL

I still like couponing but there are some times I don't use them and I still save a little. It's all about planning I think. ;).

Thanks for your comment. Sorry for taking so long to reply too! Hope you're having a great week!

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 08/15/2014 4:31 p.m. #

Great tips, Corina! I love my grocery store rewards card! It has definitely helped me save a ton of money. I'm trying to do more coupon clipping but I'm not doing great with it, honestly. It seems like you have to buy multiples, which I try to avoid. It's just me so buying 4 of something can be way to much and I don't have much storage space. But I'm trying to figure out how to layer coupons so I can score those really super deals.

Corina Ramos 08/21/2014 3:42 p.m. #

Thanks Tanya!

Here's my secret. I focus on items like toothpaste and shampoo...you can never have enough of that.

Kroger has a buy 5 save 5 deal: So let's say they have Oil of Olay body soap for $4.99. Minus $1 for rewards = $3.99. If you get five coupons for $1 off for each bottle you get the soap for $2.99 each.

Sometimes they have bags of cat food on sale too. It all depends on what you need.

Hope this helps :). Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm in back to school mode ;).

See ya in the socialverse!

• Michelle

Michelle 08/15/2014 5:05 p.m. #

I don't really coupon- but I do some coupon hunting on facebook sometimes. Especially with Target. They have their own "cartwheel" app. I don't go out of my way though.

Corina Ramos 08/21/2014 3:45 p.m. #

Hi Michelle,

I love Target's cartwheel! I was at Target for at least two hours. The fam finally called and asked where I was LOL>

I'm not an extreme couponer either but I do clip away for shampoo and other health and beauty products. There are five of us so those go quick :).

Thanks for your comment and so sorry for replying so late! Hope you've been having a great week!

• Natalie @ Financegirl

Natalie @ Financegirl 08/18/2014 7:45 a.m. #

Since I am not a huge couponer, I really like this post. Personally, I think price matching is the most effective way to save at the grocery store without using coupons. Just last Friday I left Beulers and went to Walmart after seeing the strawberries were $3.75 each (at Walmart they're $1.98)!

Corina Ramos 08/21/2014 3:54 p.m. #

Hi Natalie,

I'm so glad you liked this post :). I love Walmart's price ad match...love the program but some of the associates don't know it so I sit there arguing with them about what I can price compare or not.

I took my grandson some strawberries from Walmart too! Those are his favorites and at $1.98 I got two :).

Thanks for your comment and I'm sorry for replying so late. I've been in mom mode getting ready for back to school. Hope you've been having a great week!

• Stephanie

Stephanie 08/19/2014 11:02 a.m. #

I've been loving the cash back apps that I have on my phone where you choose the items that you purchased and snap a photo of your receipt and BAM you get the cash back in your account! Also, at first I disliked the fact that so many stores were becoming so focused on digital coupons, but I must admit, Kroger and Meijer (one of my local stores) have had some great digital coupons to clip lately. Great tips, Corina!

Corina Ramos 08/21/2014 4:01 p.m. #

My cousin's wife loves those apps. I tried using ibotta but they always give me errors about the receipts. Ugh, but I know I'm missing out!

Kroger is kicking butt right now! I love last week's deals but I get excited with the buy and save deals!

Thanks for coming by hun! Sorry for the late reply! Can you believe tomorrow is Friday already!

• Kate @ Money Propeller

Kate @ Money Propeller 08/22/2014 7:07 a.m. #

I don't use coupons but I make sure that whenever I go to the grocery store, I have my loyalty card with me. I'm excited to redeem my points this coming Christmas! :)

Sicorra 08/22/2014 9:37 a.m. #

Saving up points to redeem at Christmas time is an excellent idea Kate! Great way to budget and spend less over the holidays, while still enjoying it.

Thanks very much for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

Corina Ramos 08/22/2014 1:04 p.m. #

I never leave home without my loyalty card either. I love that I save on groceries and fuel. Saving your points for Christmas is a great idea Kate!

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day and weekend!