Seasonal Retail Jobs
Are you thinking that you could use some extra money this Christmas? If you just nodded yes, and you’re prepared to work for it instead of waiting for Santa Claus to bring you some, there are many ways to make money during the next several months.
Whether you want to buy more Christmas presents, or pay off the holiday debt on your credit cards quicker, the most obvious way to increase your income is with a part-time or full-time retail job.
Why? Because this is the time of the year many retail outlets are looking for seasonal temporary staff to help out with the increased business demands associated with the holidays and end of year sales.
Some of the most popular positions available at this time of year include customer service, grocery store cashiers, hospitality, food preparation, administrative or clerical, and sales in all retails stores.
Temporary Office Jobs
Quite often office staff are needed on a temporary basis to cover full-time staff that are going on vacation for Christmas.
If this interests you, stop by places like Manpower, or other job placement agencies in your city and drop off your resume.
Direct Sales Companies
At Christmas people love shopping online, as you know. And today, many direct sales companies make it very easy to shop online, which makes it very easy for their sales reps to make money quickly.
You can easily stay at home, and use social media to host online parties, post sales events, new product events, and engage with friends. Help your friends get all of their Christmas shopping done.
Your help will mean the world to them. And as a result you will make money that you can then use to pay for Christmas this year.
The most popular direct sales companies as of September 2018, that offer a huge selection of products for Christmas are ThirtyOne and Avon. You could join one or both of them.
Party Planning and Prep Staff
As well, many catering companies book a huge number of parties for Christmas and New Years and need people to work as bartenders, prep staff, waiters and cooks.
Search for party planners online in your city, and contact them to discuss options and requirements. Understand that the most popular ones will obviously be the busiest.
This is both good and bad for you. Good, because they will need more help. Bad, because they have less time to talk to people.
So make it easy for them. Keep your conversations with them, short and to the point, but also ensure that they enjoy speaking to you, and would love to meet you.
Tips to Help You Find Seasonal Work and Make Extra Money This Christmas
- Can you work full-time or part-time? Before you even begin job hunting, determine how many hours you can work between now and the rest of the year, and what type of work you want to do.
- Get out there now, and apply for jobs. Call catering companies in your area. Visit grocery stores and stores in your local shopping centres, and get your applications out there as soon as you can.
- Show that you are interested and excited. When you go for an interview tell them that you like the company and look forward to learning new skills. Tell them that you enjoy working with people. Never say that you are just looking for a quick way to make extra money for Christmas. Even though they already know that, they want to hire people that will do a good job, not slackers that are just there for the money
- Dress to impress. Even if the job that you are applying for doesn’t require you to be dressed up you should still dress nicely for the interview. Showing up in jeans and a t-shirt is so wrong, unless you are looking for work on a beach as a lifeguard.
- Keep your options open. Once you begin your new job work hard at keeping busy and making a good impression. Why? Because you might find that once you begin working there that you really like your new job and would like to continue working there after Christmas has come and gone. And even if there is no option to work there after the holidays, it is always nice to have a good job reference should you ever need one in the future.
Start Your Own Small Business to Make Extra Money This Christmas
Another excellent way to make extra money is to setup your own small business based on all of the services that people need at this time of the year.
Years ago it was difficult to start a small business and quickly get the word out there so that money starts coming in soon.
But of course, today, with the help of the Internet, anyone, and I mean anyone, can start a small business, based on their skills.
And they can quickly spread the word online to find customers, setup a PayPal account, or Square account, to receive payments, and then get to work, and make extra money this Christmas.
Create a small business around any of the following ideas:
- Setup your own small catering company for small events
- Sell your services as a party planner
- Offer to do other people’s Christmas gift shopping
- Hang Christmas lights and decorate homes or offices for Christmas
- Bake and sell cakes, cupcakes and Christmas cookies
- Wrap Christmas gifts
- Create and sell Gourmet Christmas baskets
- Create and sell Christmas Crafts at local Christmas fairs
- Organize, sign, and mail Christmas cards for businesses or personal use
- Offer to do other people’s grocery shopping for Christmas – busy people do hire others to shop for them
- Sewing – Sew beautiful tablecloths, napkins, table runners, throw cushions, Christmas stockings
- Knitting – Knit scarves, sweaters, blankets
There are so many different things that you can do this Christmas to make money, but you need to be creative and get started right away.
More Resources on How to Make Money
Related: 5 Popular Small Business Ideas
Related: How to Earn Income From Home
Related: Where to Find Work From Home Jobs
Can you think of some ways that people could make extra money this Christmas? Please share on social media.